News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Quality product images on retail websites can improve return rates
A survey by UK-based online imaging specialists, SpinMe, reveals the top tool for driving sales, and reducing returns, is 360 spin and 3D imaging.
When SpinMe asked retailers to choose the most effective tools used to drive sales on websites, 43% put 360 spin and 3D imaging in top place, alongside multi-language options. Twenty-one online retailers were consulted from fashion (48%), sports-related (43%) and electronic /homewares (9%) categories.
Just over half (55%) of retailers surveyed had been using 360 spin and/or 3D imagery for three months to a year. More than two-thirds (67%) agreed the reason for implementing this style of photography was to improve the overall consumer experience.
Nearly all the retailers (93%) used 360 spin and 3D imagery across some of their products. Only a small proportion (7%) used it across their entire website. However, almost a quarter (23%) said they intended to roll the technology out across all products.
Furthermore, when asked about the effect 360 spin and 3D imagery had on returns, 27% said they had seen a reduction of between 1% and 10%. The rest of the sample had either not yet seen a reduction or were yet to measure this area.
Most (86%) of retailers also believe consumers rate excellent imaging as a key driver of sales. They are able to scrutinize goods and are therefore a lot more confident with a purchase decision and have a better expectation of what they will receive in the mail.
"Consumers are inclined to buy online based on what they can see and how closely they can inspect products," said David Brint, Marketing Director at SpinMe. "The correlation between what retailers rate as one of the most effective sales drivers and what they believe is most important to consumers is telling. Although there are many sophisticated components that make up a successful e-commerce operation, the basics remain constant."
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...