News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Quality product images on retail websites can improve return rates
A survey by UK-based online imaging specialists, SpinMe, reveals the top tool for driving sales, and reducing returns, is 360 spin and 3D imaging.
When SpinMe asked retailers to choose the most effective tools used to drive sales on websites, 43% put 360 spin and 3D imaging in top place, alongside multi-language options. Twenty-one online retailers were consulted from fashion (48%), sports-related (43%) and electronic /homewares (9%) categories.
Just over half (55%) of retailers surveyed had been using 360 spin and/or 3D imagery for three months to a year. More than two-thirds (67%) agreed the reason for implementing this style of photography was to improve the overall consumer experience.
Nearly all the retailers (93%) used 360 spin and 3D imagery across some of their products. Only a small proportion (7%) used it across their entire website. However, almost a quarter (23%) said they intended to roll the technology out across all products.
Furthermore, when asked about the effect 360 spin and 3D imagery had on returns, 27% said they had seen a reduction of between 1% and 10%. The rest of the sample had either not yet seen a reduction or were yet to measure this area.
Most (86%) of retailers also believe consumers rate excellent imaging as a key driver of sales. They are able to scrutinize goods and are therefore a lot more confident with a purchase decision and have a better expectation of what they will receive in the mail.
"Consumers are inclined to buy online based on what they can see and how closely they can inspect products," said David Brint, Marketing Director at SpinMe. "The correlation between what retailers rate as one of the most effective sales drivers and what they believe is most important to consumers is telling. Although there are many sophisticated components that make up a successful e-commerce operation, the basics remain constant."
- Survey: Productivity software helping SMBs communicate
- How to use community Q&A to increase your reach
- How to use organic social posts to reach non-fans
- Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
- Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Young adults more likely to Facebook their dining experience than review it
Featured White Papers
- "Abandon Cart Emails" - Why We Don't Buy
For this paper, sponsored by Magento and Bronto Software, over 1,000 online shoppers were surveyed about their awareness of shopping...
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...