News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Publishers: Why the library may be your friend
As American subscriptions to newspapers and magazines dwindle and fewer paper books are purchased the number of people going to the library is growing - especially if you count the number of people who logon to library websites through mobile devices. According to a new report out from the Pew Internet and American Life Project about 13% of Americans over age 16 have accessed a library site via mobile.
In 2009, a similar study found only 6% had done so, according to the Pew Report.
Those who are connected are most likely to be female, have some college education and are parents. Most are from urban or suburban areas, however, and are likely to have household incomes over the $75,000/year threshold. Just over half visit 'once or several' times each month while 46% say they access library sites less than monthly.
"In all, the Pew Internet Project survey finds that 39% of Americans ages 16 and older have gone to a library website at one time or another and, of them, 64% visited a library site in the previous 12 months. That translates into 25% of all Americans ages 16+ who visited a library website in the past year," was written in the report.
As for what they're doing at the library - or on library websites - most are looking for books (82%) either physical books or lends for their e-readers; they may also be renewing book loans or reserving a book. However, about half are using online databases or looking up library programs or events and 44% are researching (students). About one-third say they look at book reviews or recommendations online.
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...