News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
PC sales drop for first time in five years
The 2012 holiday season wasn't a good one for PC retailers and manufacturers. For the first time in five years sales of PCs and notebooks were down on the previous year, according to new analysis from IDC and the NPD Group.
Windows 8 may have launched, but that did little to boost sales of PCs over the holiday season. IDC have just released figures showing that while 90 million units were sold, those sales were 6.4% lower in 2012 than the previous year, worse than the forecast decline of 4.4%
"Although the third quarter was focused on the clearing of Windows 7 inventory, preliminary research indicates the clearance did not significantly boost the uptake of Windows 8 systems in Q4," said Jay Chou, senior research analyst with IDC's Worldwide Quarterly PC Tracker.
Figures released this week by NPD Group show PC notebook sales were also down - by 11% compared to 2011.
"Despite the hype, and hope, around the launch of Windows 8, the new operating system did little to boost holiday sales or improve the year-long Windows notebook sales decline," said Steven Baker of the NPD Group.
- Marketers urged to lower ad viewability expectations
- 50% of consumers who want marketing comms prefer them via email
- AdRoll: Study finds retargeting focus for most brands
- Study: Power of Hispanic shoppers growing
- Report: News, media sites opening slow in mobile
- Marin: Brands looking to integrate marketing efforts
- Nielsen sheds light on the Millennial male
- Ad RoundUp: Analysis key to releases
Featured White Papers
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...