News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Number of compromised online accounts surprises Google security researcher
When a Google security researcher Elie Bursztein set up a survey to find out how many U.S. Internet users had had an online account compromised he was surprised at how many had been affected.
Elie Bursztein is a researcher at Google where he works on fixing Internet security and privacy problems.
He recently surveyed 10,406 people in the U.S. to see how often Internet users lose exclusive access to their accounts.
He found that 18.4% had had at least one online account compromised, including email, social network, banking, and online gaming. In his own words, "This is a much higher percentage than I imagined and it emphasizes how pervasive account compromises are."
While no correlation was found with gender and likelihood of compromised security, Bursztein did find some interesting statistics with income. His findings revealed that the higher a person's income, the less likely their chance of having an account compromised.
Just over 13% of those in the income bracket $0 - $24,999 had experienced a compromised account, compared with just 5.2% of those in the $100,000 - $149,999 range.
Bursztein offers some advice to aid online account security.
"Although there are a lot of things you can do to protect your online accounts, in my experience one of the best strategies to help keep the accounts you care about secure is to provide the online service with your phone number for extra verification purposes," he writes on his blog. "This extra piece of information can be used to deter fraudulent logins but enabling the online service to send a text message with a verification code to your cell phone when they detect a suspicious or unusual activity."
- The most shared video clips depend on region
- Top tax tips that will protect your information
- Report: Millennials spending more time with UGC
- New AdWords format includes detailed consumer opinion data
- Quarter of UK's top finance brands have no mobile website, apps
- Report reveals men's emerging role in household supermarket shopping chore
- How data will impact businesses in 2014
- Report: Social pushing coupon search, use
Featured White Papers
- Choosing the Best Web CMS for Customer Experience Management
In this paper, learn how to choose the right CMS for you and your business from the eyes of a...
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....