News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Number of compromised online accounts surprises Google security researcher
When a Google security researcher Elie Bursztein set up a survey to find out how many U.S. Internet users had had an online account compromised he was surprised at how many had been affected.
Elie Bursztein is a researcher at Google where he works on fixing Internet security and privacy problems.
He recently surveyed 10,406 people in the U.S. to see how often Internet users lose exclusive access to their accounts.
He found that 18.4% had had at least one online account compromised, including email, social network, banking, and online gaming. In his own words, "This is a much higher percentage than I imagined and it emphasizes how pervasive account compromises are."
While no correlation was found with gender and likelihood of compromised security, Bursztein did find some interesting statistics with income. His findings revealed that the higher a person's income, the less likely their chance of having an account compromised.
Just over 13% of those in the income bracket $0 - $24,999 had experienced a compromised account, compared with just 5.2% of those in the $100,000 - $149,999 range.
Bursztein offers some advice to aid online account security.
"Although there are a lot of things you can do to protect your online accounts, in my experience one of the best strategies to help keep the accounts you care about secure is to provide the online service with your phone number for extra verification purposes," he writes on his blog. "This extra piece of information can be used to deter fraudulent logins but enabling the online service to send a text message with a verification code to your cell phone when they detect a suspicious or unusual activity."
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
- Top 3 tips to win with social this holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...
- Motivations in the Marketing Mix
Direct targeting of consumers based on their motivations increased message relevance....
- 10 New Ways to Think About Affiliate Marketing Best Practices
Affiliate marketing is big business and it is poised to grow to $4.5 billion by 2016. While affiliate marketing is...
- Create Conversations, not Campaigns
Nobody wants to get blasted. Commercial email marketing has evolved out of the traditional direct-mail mindset, which is all about...