News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Number of compromised online accounts surprises Google security researcher
When a Google security researcher Elie Bursztein set up a survey to find out how many U.S. Internet users had had an online account compromised he was surprised at how many had been affected.
Elie Bursztein is a researcher at Google where he works on fixing Internet security and privacy problems.
He recently surveyed 10,406 people in the U.S. to see how often Internet users lose exclusive access to their accounts.
He found that 18.4% had had at least one online account compromised, including email, social network, banking, and online gaming. In his own words, "This is a much higher percentage than I imagined and it emphasizes how pervasive account compromises are."
While no correlation was found with gender and likelihood of compromised security, Bursztein did find some interesting statistics with income. His findings revealed that the higher a person's income, the less likely their chance of having an account compromised.
Just over 13% of those in the income bracket $0 - $24,999 had experienced a compromised account, compared with just 5.2% of those in the $100,000 - $149,999 range.
Bursztein offers some advice to aid online account security.
"Although there are a lot of things you can do to protect your online accounts, in my experience one of the best strategies to help keep the accounts you care about secure is to provide the online service with your phone number for extra verification purposes," he writes on his blog. "This extra piece of information can be used to deter fraudulent logins but enabling the online service to send a text message with a verification code to your cell phone when they detect a suspicious or unusual activity."
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...