News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
More than two-thirds of consumers satisfy munchies with mobile
Mobile has wheedled its way into almost all aspects of day to day life including, as a new survey from Viggle reveals, satisfying appetites.
More than two-thirds of consumers (69%) have ordered food and drink using a mobile device at least once, found a study by the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) and interactive TV service Viggle.
"This research highlights the fact that the mobile internet is increasingly becoming a vital tool to help consumers navigate their everyday lives - even when it comes to simple tasks such as ordering a pizza," said Anna Bager, IAB vice president and general manager of the Mobile Marketing Center of Excellence.
Of the 600 respondents picked at random from Viggle's userbase of 2 million, 72% said they order pizza using a mobile device, the most popular food ordered via mobile. The next largest category of foods ordered via mobile were burgers/sandwiches and Chinese, both with 31%, followed by wings (24%) and Mexican (15%).
While 2% of respondents reported ordering a takeout meal or delivery every single day, this is far from the norm. So, what would encourage consumers to order more meals by mobile?
According to the IAB/Viggle study (see infographic):
- 74% would order more if order discounts were given;
- 64% would order more if loyalty points were available;
- 54% would like an easier way to enter an order;
- 37% want an easier way to find a restaurant to order from;
- 36% want past orders to be made available to them.
Mobile apps are helping mobile users with the munchies get their fix. Half of mobile users surveyed have downloaded an app for their favorite restaurant such as McDonald's or Pizza Hut. Similarly, multi-restaurant apps have been downloaded by 55%, with Yelp the most popular (37%) followed by Urbanspoon (24%) and Zagat (9%).
"Restaurant marketers should consider these insights when planning for future mobile campaigns," said Greg Consiglio, President and COO, Viggle. "Mobile users are clearly looking for benefits to motivate them into transitioning their food ordering experience onto their smartphone or tablet. Dining establishments and fast-food giants continue to leverage new incentive-based platforms for ordering via mobile devices, providing their customers with the easiest possible way to place an order."
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- We2 to connect NYC's retailers and consumers via 'social WiFi'
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
- How to build loyalty through games
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...