News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile accounted for 11% of ecommerce sales in 2012
With more consumers packing the power of a smartphone in their pocket, or a tablet in their bag, mobile devices are becoming a key, and popular, shopping tool. New research from eMarketer reveals the impact of mobile on last year's shopping behavior.
American consumers spent a healthy $25 billion via mobile transactions during 2012, an 81% rise on 2011. Along with social networking, gaming and emailing, shopping has become one of the top mobile device activities.
While $25 billion may sound a lot, it's but a fraction of overall e-commerce sales in 2012 - 11% to be more precise.
As smartphone penetration increases and the retail sector catches up with the channel, coupled with the inevitable adoption of mobile payment technology, mobile's share of e-commerce sales will continue to grow.
Experts expect mobile to account for 15% of e-commerce sales this year. By 2016 that figure is expected to reach 27%, or $87 billion, with shopping on tablets more prevalent than via smartphones.
According to eMarketer, "This year, US consumers will spend $24 billion shopping on their tablets, and that figure will nearly double by 2015. M-commerce sales on smartphones are lower and will grow more slowly, reaching $13.44 billion this year and $24.32 billion by 2016. Purchases on other mobile devices, such as ereaders, will continue to make up a small but steady share of the m-commerce pie."
- Most media chiefs believe fake news is good for business
- Study: Trust, payments annoy marketplace sellers
- Expert: How RegTech will impact 2017
- Top 3 tips to improve your mobile video strategy
- SMBs bemoan relationship with their bank
- 92% of first-time website visitors are there for reasons other than to make a purchase
- Ad Roundup: Retail, ad solutions launched
- Expert IDs drivers for mobile video
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...