News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile accounted for 11% of ecommerce sales in 2012
With more consumers packing the power of a smartphone in their pocket, or a tablet in their bag, mobile devices are becoming a key, and popular, shopping tool. New research from eMarketer reveals the impact of mobile on last year's shopping behavior.
American consumers spent a healthy $25 billion via mobile transactions during 2012, an 81% rise on 2011. Along with social networking, gaming and emailing, shopping has become one of the top mobile device activities.
While $25 billion may sound a lot, it's but a fraction of overall e-commerce sales in 2012 - 11% to be more precise.
As smartphone penetration increases and the retail sector catches up with the channel, coupled with the inevitable adoption of mobile payment technology, mobile's share of e-commerce sales will continue to grow.
Experts expect mobile to account for 15% of e-commerce sales this year. By 2016 that figure is expected to reach 27%, or $87 billion, with shopping on tablets more prevalent than via smartphones.
According to eMarketer, "This year, US consumers will spend $24 billion shopping on their tablets, and that figure will nearly double by 2015. M-commerce sales on smartphones are lower and will grow more slowly, reaching $13.44 billion this year and $24.32 billion by 2016. Purchases on other mobile devices, such as ereaders, will continue to make up a small but steady share of the m-commerce pie."
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...