News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile accounted for 11% of ecommerce sales in 2012
With more consumers packing the power of a smartphone in their pocket, or a tablet in their bag, mobile devices are becoming a key, and popular, shopping tool. New research from eMarketer reveals the impact of mobile on last year's shopping behavior.
American consumers spent a healthy $25 billion via mobile transactions during 2012, an 81% rise on 2011. Along with social networking, gaming and emailing, shopping has become one of the top mobile device activities.
While $25 billion may sound a lot, it's but a fraction of overall e-commerce sales in 2012 - 11% to be more precise.
As smartphone penetration increases and the retail sector catches up with the channel, coupled with the inevitable adoption of mobile payment technology, mobile's share of e-commerce sales will continue to grow.
Experts expect mobile to account for 15% of e-commerce sales this year. By 2016 that figure is expected to reach 27%, or $87 billion, with shopping on tablets more prevalent than via smartphones.
According to eMarketer, "This year, US consumers will spend $24 billion shopping on their tablets, and that figure will nearly double by 2015. M-commerce sales on smartphones are lower and will grow more slowly, reaching $13.44 billion this year and $24.32 billion by 2016. Purchases on other mobile devices, such as ereaders, will continue to make up a small but steady share of the m-commerce pie."
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...