News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Might General Motors take Facebook for another spin?
General Motors may be making a u-turn on their 2012 decision to stop paid advertising on Facebook.
In May last year, General Motors announced they would quit paying for ads on the social network. They decided that the $40 million invested in paid ads on Facebook were having little impact on consumers' car purchases.
"In terms of Facebook specifically, while we currently do not plan to continue with advertising, we remain committed to an aggressive content strategy through all of our products and brands, as it continues to be a very effective tool for engaging with our customers," GM told Politico at the time.
However, Reuters is reporting that Alan Batey, GM's interim marketing chief, made comments at the recent North American International Auto Show that suggested Facebook and GM were continuing talks about a potential return to the social network.
It's not that General Motors doesn't have an existing Facebook presence - it does. The auto firm just doesn't pay to advertise on the social network.
"We're still actively talking to them and looking at opportunities that come our way," Batey told Reuters. "I wouldn't tell you that there's a Mexican standoff here. We just didn't see the value."
- Colors effect sharing behavior on Pinterest
- Survey highlights importance of returns process to consumer loyalty
- 45% of marketers to invest in events during 2015
- Barclays Bank launches Twitter payments
- Advertising for young children looks promising on a new YouTube app for kids
- Twitter responses to customer queries slow and sloppy
- App channel worth over £4 billion to UK brands
- Facebook: 2 million advertisers milestone and new mobile ad manager
Featured White Papers
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- How to Promote and Measure Hashtag Campaigns
A single hashtag can connect your brand messaging across each of the major social networks. Learn how hashtags can be...