News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Might General Motors take Facebook for another spin?
General Motors may be making a u-turn on their 2012 decision to stop paid advertising on Facebook.
In May last year, General Motors announced they would quit paying for ads on the social network. They decided that the $40 million invested in paid ads on Facebook were having little impact on consumers' car purchases.
"In terms of Facebook specifically, while we currently do not plan to continue with advertising, we remain committed to an aggressive content strategy through all of our products and brands, as it continues to be a very effective tool for engaging with our customers," GM told Politico at the time.
However, Reuters is reporting that Alan Batey, GM's interim marketing chief, made comments at the recent North American International Auto Show that suggested Facebook and GM were continuing talks about a potential return to the social network.
It's not that General Motors doesn't have an existing Facebook presence - it does. The auto firm just doesn't pay to advertise on the social network.
"We're still actively talking to them and looking at opportunities that come our way," Batey told Reuters. "I wouldn't tell you that there's a Mexican standoff here. We just didn't see the value."
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...