News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Might General Motors take Facebook for another spin?
General Motors may be making a u-turn on their 2012 decision to stop paid advertising on Facebook.
In May last year, General Motors announced they would quit paying for ads on the social network. They decided that the $40 million invested in paid ads on Facebook were having little impact on consumers' car purchases.
"In terms of Facebook specifically, while we currently do not plan to continue with advertising, we remain committed to an aggressive content strategy through all of our products and brands, as it continues to be a very effective tool for engaging with our customers," GM told Politico at the time.
However, Reuters is reporting that Alan Batey, GM's interim marketing chief, made comments at the recent North American International Auto Show that suggested Facebook and GM were continuing talks about a potential return to the social network.
It's not that General Motors doesn't have an existing Facebook presence - it does. The auto firm just doesn't pay to advertise on the social network.
"We're still actively talking to them and looking at opportunities that come our way," Batey told Reuters. "I wouldn't tell you that there's a Mexican standoff here. We just didn't see the value."
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
- Top 3 tips to strengthen travel-based ad strategy
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...