News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
McDonald's communicates nutritional info on packaging with QR Codes
Starting this month in the U.S, fast food giant McDonald's will roll out new packaging featuring QR Codes that convey nutritional information to enable customers to make better, more informed, menu choices.
In 1973, McDonald's was one of the first restaurant firms in the world to provide customers with nutritional information about the meals they offer. Since then, the ways in which they have made such information available has evolved with changes in communication and technology.
In the 90s, nutritional information was available online and on trayliners and, from 2006 onward, on packaging.
The food giant is no stranger to mobile technology, and this is now being used to communicate nutritional information to customers via the use of QR Codes on some packaging elements. The codes can be scanned by a smartphone and provide diners with the information they need to make informed choices.
"Our new packaging is designed to engage with customers in relevant ways and celebrate our brand," said Kevin Newell, McDonald's chief brand officer. "Customers tell us they want to know more about the food they are eating and we want to make that as easy as possible by putting this information right at their fingertips."
The QR Codes will appear on carry-out bags and fountain beverage cups across more than 14,000 McDonald's restaurants in the U.S. this month followed by a roll-out to their international outlets throughout 2013.
- Study: Transparency important to CPG buyers
- Report outlines the impact on brands of email fraud
- Millennials losing faith in traditional banks, trust tech firms more
- Report finds 'last mile' issues continue to dismay consumers
- Consumer satisfaction with mobile commerce falling
- YouTube wants agencies to learn from their top creators
- Search marketing taking back seat as proving ROI challenging
- Study: Video big influencer for some voters
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...