News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
McDonald's communicates nutritional info on packaging with QR Codes
Starting this month in the U.S, fast food giant McDonald's will roll out new packaging featuring QR Codes that convey nutritional information to enable customers to make better, more informed, menu choices.
In 1973, McDonald's was one of the first restaurant firms in the world to provide customers with nutritional information about the meals they offer. Since then, the ways in which they have made such information available has evolved with changes in communication and technology.
In the 90s, nutritional information was available online and on trayliners and, from 2006 onward, on packaging.
The food giant is no stranger to mobile technology, and this is now being used to communicate nutritional information to customers via the use of QR Codes on some packaging elements. The codes can be scanned by a smartphone and provide diners with the information they need to make informed choices.
"Our new packaging is designed to engage with customers in relevant ways and celebrate our brand," said Kevin Newell, McDonald's chief brand officer. "Customers tell us they want to know more about the food they are eating and we want to make that as easy as possible by putting this information right at their fingertips."
The QR Codes will appear on carry-out bags and fountain beverage cups across more than 14,000 McDonald's restaurants in the U.S. this month followed by a roll-out to their international outlets throughout 2013.
- Big brands' ads found playing before ISIS YouTube videos
- Image-based social networks up their ad game
- Few help desk systems are cloud-based
- Survey: Phablets fastest growing mobile device
- Brands: How content should change your mobile strategy
- In-store sales down for Valentines finds report
- Top 3 tips for non-profits to succeed in digital
- Ad RoundUp: Partnerships increase ad support across channels
Featured White Papers
- Measure What Matters: Five Features to Enable Now On Google Analytics
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for gaining insights into user behavior and gathering data for site optimization. Unfortunately, in...
- A lot of what you know about email marketing could be wrong
There is a lot of email-marketing advice floating around out there. And, frankly, a lot of it is bad. Hunches...