News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
McDonald's communicates nutritional info on packaging with QR Codes
Starting this month in the U.S, fast food giant McDonald's will roll out new packaging featuring QR Codes that convey nutritional information to enable customers to make better, more informed, menu choices.
In 1973, McDonald's was one of the first restaurant firms in the world to provide customers with nutritional information about the meals they offer. Since then, the ways in which they have made such information available has evolved with changes in communication and technology.
In the 90s, nutritional information was available online and on trayliners and, from 2006 onward, on packaging.
The food giant is no stranger to mobile technology, and this is now being used to communicate nutritional information to customers via the use of QR Codes on some packaging elements. The codes can be scanned by a smartphone and provide diners with the information they need to make informed choices.
"Our new packaging is designed to engage with customers in relevant ways and celebrate our brand," said Kevin Newell, McDonald's chief brand officer. "Customers tell us they want to know more about the food they are eating and we want to make that as easy as possible by putting this information right at their fingertips."
The QR Codes will appear on carry-out bags and fountain beverage cups across more than 14,000 McDonald's restaurants in the U.S. this month followed by a roll-out to their international outlets throughout 2013.
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
- YouGov: Mobile commerce confidence grows among consumers
- Study finds the moments ads will most likely garner attention
Featured White Papers
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...