News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
McDonald's communicates nutritional info on packaging with QR Codes
Starting this month in the U.S, fast food giant McDonald's will roll out new packaging featuring QR Codes that convey nutritional information to enable customers to make better, more informed, menu choices.
In 1973, McDonald's was one of the first restaurant firms in the world to provide customers with nutritional information about the meals they offer. Since then, the ways in which they have made such information available has evolved with changes in communication and technology.
In the 90s, nutritional information was available online and on trayliners and, from 2006 onward, on packaging.
The food giant is no stranger to mobile technology, and this is now being used to communicate nutritional information to customers via the use of QR Codes on some packaging elements. The codes can be scanned by a smartphone and provide diners with the information they need to make informed choices.
"Our new packaging is designed to engage with customers in relevant ways and celebrate our brand," said Kevin Newell, McDonald's chief brand officer. "Customers tell us they want to know more about the food they are eating and we want to make that as easy as possible by putting this information right at their fingertips."
The QR Codes will appear on carry-out bags and fountain beverage cups across more than 14,000 McDonald's restaurants in the U.S. this month followed by a roll-out to their international outlets throughout 2013.
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
- Twitter launches lead generation tool
- uTest's Apphance shows 10 times more sessions
- New social network to connection non-corp types
- Elance: Remote hiring sees 60% jump
- Engajer integrates to LinkedIn
- JiWire: Mobile engaging travel consumers
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...