News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Magazine ad pages continue to fall despite growing audience
On the whole, 2012 was a rough year for magazines. New figures released by the Publishers Information Bureau show total ad pages fell across most major magazine categories with just a few individual titles posting positive results.
The Publishers Information Bureau (PIB) tracks 219 titles and for most magazines its year-end figures weren't enjoyable reading. Almost three quarters, 158 titles, posted ad page decreases in 2012. Overall, total ad pages fell from 168,712 in 2011 to 154,838 last year, a drop of 8.2%.
Women's Interest titles took the biggest hit:
- Martha Stewart Living - down 29%;
- Shape - down 22.7%;
- Lucky - down 22.2%;
- Ladies' Home Journal - down 21.9%.
For an industry that relies on advertising to survive, the continuing drop in ad pages is worrying. But, more than that, it's happening during a time when magazine audiences are on the rise.
According to the Association of Magazine Media, "2012 Audience figures for print titles and their digital replicas have grown 1.6%, adding 135 million new readers whose interests and passions are served when, where and how they choose."
The few titles that posted ad page increases are:
- Ebony - up 22.9%;
- Allure - up 18.5%;
- Food Network Magazine - up 17.%;
- OK Weekly - up 13.2%.
- Study: Millennials cautious with spending
- Study: Millennials willing to pay for rewards
- Mobile a key ingredient in a Millennial's kitchen
- Expert: The benefits to early EMV conversion
- Top 3 tips to reduce customer churn
- Report: Mobile costs, downloads down
- Latest Facebook workforce diversity report disappoints
- Study highlights differences in email behavior based on age, gender
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...