News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Magazine ad pages continue to fall despite growing audience
On the whole, 2012 was a rough year for magazines. New figures released by the Publishers Information Bureau show total ad pages fell across most major magazine categories with just a few individual titles posting positive results.
The Publishers Information Bureau (PIB) tracks 219 titles and for most magazines its year-end figures weren't enjoyable reading. Almost three quarters, 158 titles, posted ad page decreases in 2012. Overall, total ad pages fell from 168,712 in 2011 to 154,838 last year, a drop of 8.2%.
Women's Interest titles took the biggest hit:
- Martha Stewart Living - down 29%;
- Shape - down 22.7%;
- Lucky - down 22.2%;
- Ladies' Home Journal - down 21.9%.
For an industry that relies on advertising to survive, the continuing drop in ad pages is worrying. But, more than that, it's happening during a time when magazine audiences are on the rise.
According to the Association of Magazine Media, "2012 Audience figures for print titles and their digital replicas have grown 1.6%, adding 135 million new readers whose interests and passions are served when, where and how they choose."
The few titles that posted ad page increases are:
- Ebony - up 22.9%;
- Allure - up 18.5%;
- Food Network Magazine - up 17.%;
- OK Weekly - up 13.2%.
- Study: Mobile users will wait
- SendGrid launches email service
- IAB UK: Fashion retailers perform best in mobile marketing
- Mobile offers, coupons big draw for Dads
- Cardiff University beats prestigious Oxford in online presence stakes
- Report: SMBs missing out on mobile commerce
- Reports: Consumers want television everywhere
- SMBs: The marketplace is getting tougher
Featured White Papers
- 8 Key Plays For Sales Success
Pull ahead of your competition by learning best practices for incorporating these new technologies into your daily sales & marketing...
- How to Drive More Traffic Without Increasing Budget
Counterfeiters are adept at mimicking top brands' digital marketing strategies by building pay per click (PPC) campaigns that exploit both...
- Explain What You Do: How a simple explainer video increased online conversion by 20%
In this case study we examine the explainer video for Inbenta, a natural language processing service operating in a highly...
- 7 Reasons To Consider Responsive Design For Your Companys Next Generation Website
In this white paper, learn the 7 reasons to consider responsive design for your company's next generation website. With the...
- Forrester Report: Digital Customer Experience Trends to Watch 2013
Digital touchpoints support an increasingly large percentage of the overall customer experience. 2012 saw the emergence of several important digital...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Beyond Last Touch: Understanding Campaign Effectiveness
Understanding what drives customers to take action is critical to your advertising investments. However, with a flood of available metrics...