News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Magazine ad pages continue to fall despite growing audience
On the whole, 2012 was a rough year for magazines. New figures released by the Publishers Information Bureau show total ad pages fell across most major magazine categories with just a few individual titles posting positive results.
The Publishers Information Bureau (PIB) tracks 219 titles and for most magazines its year-end figures weren't enjoyable reading. Almost three quarters, 158 titles, posted ad page decreases in 2012. Overall, total ad pages fell from 168,712 in 2011 to 154,838 last year, a drop of 8.2%.
Women's Interest titles took the biggest hit:
- Martha Stewart Living - down 29%;
- Shape - down 22.7%;
- Lucky - down 22.2%;
- Ladies' Home Journal - down 21.9%.
For an industry that relies on advertising to survive, the continuing drop in ad pages is worrying. But, more than that, it's happening during a time when magazine audiences are on the rise.
According to the Association of Magazine Media, "2012 Audience figures for print titles and their digital replicas have grown 1.6%, adding 135 million new readers whose interests and passions are served when, where and how they choose."
The few titles that posted ad page increases are:
- Ebony - up 22.9%;
- Allure - up 18.5%;
- Food Network Magazine - up 17.%;
- OK Weekly - up 13.2%.
- Study: Loyalty higher for mall-wide programs
- Top 3 challenges facing retailers and how to solve them
- Ad viewability levels down across Europe
- Virtual Reality: Seeing, and trying, is believing and buying
- Expert: Retail's trends to watch
- Mobile Roundup: Platforms to simplify work, personal lives
- Report: Fraud attacks up 80%
- Marketers value startups for their passion, drive, and technological prowess
Featured White Papers
- The Ultimate Guide to Website Personalization
There is a wealth of methods to put your company's data to work; by far, personalization is one of the...