News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Magazine ad pages continue to fall despite growing audience
On the whole, 2012 was a rough year for magazines. New figures released by the Publishers Information Bureau show total ad pages fell across most major magazine categories with just a few individual titles posting positive results.
The Publishers Information Bureau (PIB) tracks 219 titles and for most magazines its year-end figures weren't enjoyable reading. Almost three quarters, 158 titles, posted ad page decreases in 2012. Overall, total ad pages fell from 168,712 in 2011 to 154,838 last year, a drop of 8.2%.
Women's Interest titles took the biggest hit:
- Martha Stewart Living - down 29%;
- Shape - down 22.7%;
- Lucky - down 22.2%;
- Ladies' Home Journal - down 21.9%.
For an industry that relies on advertising to survive, the continuing drop in ad pages is worrying. But, more than that, it's happening during a time when magazine audiences are on the rise.
According to the Association of Magazine Media, "2012 Audience figures for print titles and their digital replicas have grown 1.6%, adding 135 million new readers whose interests and passions are served when, where and how they choose."
The few titles that posted ad page increases are:
- Ebony - up 22.9%;
- Allure - up 18.5%;
- Food Network Magazine - up 17.%;
- OK Weekly - up 13.2%.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...