News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Kantar Media: Advertisers up spending in Q3 2012
Q4 numbers are yet to be calculated, but if Q3 is anything to go by, 2012 will end with a strong online ad showing. According to data out from Kantar Media the total US ad spend topped $34.5 million in Q3, helped along by the 2012 Olympic Games.
The top categories included television (15.3% increase in spending) and FSIs (17.3% increase in spending) while Magazines, Internet and Newspapers all showed declines of between 2% and 4%. Interestingly enough, both Radio (4.2% spending increase) and Outdoor (4.9% increase) had a strong showing through Q3.
In the lead-up to the always important holiday shopping season, the top advertisers according to Kantar included P&G, GM and Comcast; for the first time Berkshire Hathaway, INC hit the top 10 spenders, thanks to their sponsorship of the Olympic Games.
Meanwhile, eMarketer notes that the global ad spend is also showing steady increases, despite a still-struggling global economy. Their researchers suggest the total 2012 ad spend (global) will increase by more than 5% to reach more than $545 billion; researchers forecast that the global ad spend will increase between 4% and 5% each year through 2016, to reach more than $628 billion.
Latin America is leading the ad-race, with advertisers increasing their spending by 11% in 2012; Asia-Pacific (8.5% spending increase) and Eastern Europe (8.3% increase) are also showing strong growth rates.
For the US, eMarketer suggests ad spending will increase by 4.9% to hit $166 billion and by 2016, ad spending is expected to hit $189 billion.
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...