News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Has the Nexus 7 out-sold the iPad in Japan? Maybe not...
I'm using my Christmas money to buy a new device and have plonked for Google's Nexus 7 tablet. It appears I'm in good company because, according to a recent report, it's the device of choice for Japanese consumers. Or is it?
On the face of it, market research firm BCN's latest survey of consumer electronics stores in Japan appears to show that Google's Nexus 7 tablet has out-sold the iPad. The survey of 2,400 outlets showed Nexus with 44.4% of the market compared with 40.1% for the iPad and iPad Mini combined.
However, as several publications have pointed out, it appears the BCN's survey didn't include Apple's own stores, of which there are just 5 in Japan, nor their direct sales. This would, you'd assume, perhaps push up Apple's market share. Availability, too, was an issue in Japan over recent months, particularly for the iPad Mini, which would also have impacted sales.
Perhaps what the rather vague figures do indicate is that, in a trend-conscious country, the gap between Android and Apple devices has narrowed significantly, almost to the point of being head-to-head.
Last year, Apple's market share was just below 50% but, when Apple launched the iPad 4, Apple's market share jumped to about 70%. Meanwhile, ASUS/Google's share was below 10% before the launch of the Nexus 7 in Japan last September but now stands at 40%.
- Videos best for Facebook reach, but don't ditch the photos
- Mother's Day: Flowers a popular gift, but Mom wants tech
- UK: Online spending and deliveries break records
- Study: Nearly one-third say they 'don't do enough' to internationalize their business
- Millennials say the right content drives brand loyalty
- Consumers not impressed by engagement of branded apps
- Online shoppers excited about possibility of drone deliveries
- Colors affect sharing behavior on Pinterest
Featured White Papers
- A lot of what you know about email marketing could be wrong
There is a lot of email-marketing advice floating around out there. And, frankly, a lot of it is bad. Hunches...