News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Has the Nexus 7 out-sold the iPad in Japan? Maybe not...
I'm using my Christmas money to buy a new device and have plonked for Google's Nexus 7 tablet. It appears I'm in good company because, according to a recent report, it's the device of choice for Japanese consumers. Or is it?
On the face of it, market research firm BCN's latest survey of consumer electronics stores in Japan appears to show that Google's Nexus 7 tablet has out-sold the iPad. The survey of 2,400 outlets showed Nexus with 44.4% of the market compared with 40.1% for the iPad and iPad Mini combined.
However, as several publications have pointed out, it appears the BCN's survey didn't include Apple's own stores, of which there are just 5 in Japan, nor their direct sales. This would, you'd assume, perhaps push up Apple's market share. Availability, too, was an issue in Japan over recent months, particularly for the iPad Mini, which would also have impacted sales.
Perhaps what the rather vague figures do indicate is that, in a trend-conscious country, the gap between Android and Apple devices has narrowed significantly, almost to the point of being head-to-head.
Last year, Apple's market share was just below 50% but, when Apple launched the iPad 4, Apple's market share jumped to about 70%. Meanwhile, ASUS/Google's share was below 10% before the launch of the Nexus 7 in Japan last September but now stands at 40%.
- Air passengers demand constant connectivity and fast in-flight Wi-Fi
- Power Users + Loyal Users = App Stickiness
- Shareaholic: Quarter of website traffic driven by Facebook
- B2B firms struggling with content marketing
- Brands piggy-backing on major events not guaranteed success
- Expert: Why SMBs are pushing farther into digital
- Top 3 challenges facing retailers and how to solve them
- How to get past personas and into consumers' interests
Featured White Papers
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...