News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Has the Nexus 7 out-sold the iPad in Japan? Maybe not...
I'm using my Christmas money to buy a new device and have plonked for Google's Nexus 7 tablet. It appears I'm in good company because, according to a recent report, it's the device of choice for Japanese consumers. Or is it?
On the face of it, market research firm BCN's latest survey of consumer electronics stores in Japan appears to show that Google's Nexus 7 tablet has out-sold the iPad. The survey of 2,400 outlets showed Nexus with 44.4% of the market compared with 40.1% for the iPad and iPad Mini combined.
However, as several publications have pointed out, it appears the BCN's survey didn't include Apple's own stores, of which there are just 5 in Japan, nor their direct sales. This would, you'd assume, perhaps push up Apple's market share. Availability, too, was an issue in Japan over recent months, particularly for the iPad Mini, which would also have impacted sales.
Perhaps what the rather vague figures do indicate is that, in a trend-conscious country, the gap between Android and Apple devices has narrowed significantly, almost to the point of being head-to-head.
Last year, Apple's market share was just below 50% but, when Apple launched the iPad 4, Apple's market share jumped to about 70%. Meanwhile, ASUS/Google's share was below 10% before the launch of the Nexus 7 in Japan last September but now stands at 40%.
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...