News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google+ outstrips Twitter, YouTube to become second largest social network
Sometimes it feels like the entire population of the Internet is on Facebook and Twitter. Not quite. In fact, while the reigning social platform is, of course, Zuckerberg's baby, Twitter comes in only in fourth place in terms of monthly active users.
Remember when Google+ was being talked about in terms of being an "also ran" and that, while Facebook was in the picture, it would never amount to anything?
Well, new figures from research company Global Web Index (GWI) now put Google+ high up the list in terms of monthly active users, just behind Facebook. The December 2012 study of Active Social Platform Usage shows Facebook with over half of global Internet users actively engaged on the network each month.
The big surprise, at least for some, is that Google+ has leapfrogged Twitter and YouTube. It now stands in second place with around 25% of global Internet users, or 343 million, compared with YouTube and Twitter's 20%.
However, Twitter was the fastest growing social platform, growing monthly active users 40% in the second half of 2012, to 288 million. In the same timeframe, Facebook grew 33.4% to 693.5 million active monthly users and Google+ grew 27.7% to 343 million.
- Display ad revenues continue to rise despite ad blocking
- Mobile camera functionality key to capturing Millennials' loyalty
- Brands: Why you need prescriptive analytics
- Top 7 tips to increase B2B success
- How to make the most of TV ads
- Ecomm Roundup: 3 platform releases offer more control
- Top 3 tips to make the most of Instagram ads
- Study: Publishers concerned about Google, Facebook, competition
Featured White Papers
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...