News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google+ outstrips Twitter, YouTube to become second largest social network
Sometimes it feels like the entire population of the Internet is on Facebook and Twitter. Not quite. In fact, while the reigning social platform is, of course, Zuckerberg's baby, Twitter comes in only in fourth place in terms of monthly active users.
Remember when Google+ was being talked about in terms of being an "also ran" and that, while Facebook was in the picture, it would never amount to anything?
Well, new figures from research company Global Web Index (GWI) now put Google+ high up the list in terms of monthly active users, just behind Facebook. The December 2012 study of Active Social Platform Usage shows Facebook with over half of global Internet users actively engaged on the network each month.
The big surprise, at least for some, is that Google+ has leapfrogged Twitter and YouTube. It now stands in second place with around 25% of global Internet users, or 343 million, compared with YouTube and Twitter's 20%.
However, Twitter was the fastest growing social platform, growing monthly active users 40% in the second half of 2012, to 288 million. In the same timeframe, Facebook grew 33.4% to 693.5 million active monthly users and Google+ grew 27.7% to 343 million.
- Expert: Where retailers should focus this holiday season
- Top 3 tips to create stronger video content
- Forecast: Holidays could be a boon to retailers
- 'Password fatigue' drives social login use
- Millennial-led SMBs defining new world order for marketing
- Online payment fraud costing U.S. merchants billions
- Online ad viewability in UK remains below 50%
- Mobile banking logins outpacing desktop
Featured White Papers
- How to Master the Art of LinkedIn InMail Prospecting
Learn how to improve your LinkedIn Inmail prospecting skills with this practical guide, complete with real-life examples....