News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google+ outstrips Twitter, YouTube to become second largest social network
Sometimes it feels like the entire population of the Internet is on Facebook and Twitter. Not quite. In fact, while the reigning social platform is, of course, Zuckerberg's baby, Twitter comes in only in fourth place in terms of monthly active users.
Remember when Google+ was being talked about in terms of being an "also ran" and that, while Facebook was in the picture, it would never amount to anything?
Well, new figures from research company Global Web Index (GWI) now put Google+ high up the list in terms of monthly active users, just behind Facebook. The December 2012 study of Active Social Platform Usage shows Facebook with over half of global Internet users actively engaged on the network each month.
The big surprise, at least for some, is that Google+ has leapfrogged Twitter and YouTube. It now stands in second place with around 25% of global Internet users, or 343 million, compared with YouTube and Twitter's 20%.
However, Twitter was the fastest growing social platform, growing monthly active users 40% in the second half of 2012, to 288 million. In the same timeframe, Facebook grew 33.4% to 693.5 million active monthly users and Google+ grew 27.7% to 343 million.
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- Build Your Business Case For Social Selling
Are you ready to build your business case for social selling? Do you need some help? Download this PowerPoint deck...
- The High Cost of Free: Does Online Video Quality Influence Consumer Perception of your Brand?
6 Billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube .... That's almost 1 hour for every person on...