News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook: Mobile ad revenue jumps from zero to 23%
Facebook has marked another milestone. For the first time ever, the number of daily active users visiting Facebook via a mobile device has outstripped those checking on a desktop.
In a statement announcing the company's fourth-quarter results, Facebook says there are now 1.06 billion active Facebook users across the globe. More than half (618 million) visit daily - a YoY rise of 57%.
Also announced was that 157 million monthly active users only access Facebook from their mobile device, up from just 58 million mobile-only users in Q4 2011.
Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, says the social network has now become a "mobile company".
In Q4 2012, mobile ads accounted for a significant 23% of ad revenue, a big jump from the third quarter when it was 14%.
The social network's finance chief, David Ebersman, said Facebook had "basically doubled" mobile ad revenue from the third quarter to the fourth quarter.
"Two quarters ago we really had no mobile revenue," Ebersman told Reuters. "In the course of a pretty short period of time, we've dramatically ramped up our ability to monetize mobile."
Facebook reported a net income of $64 million on sales of $1.58 billion for Q4 2012. Revenue rose 40% from a year ago, but profit fell 78% as the company incurred charges related to employee stock options.
- Customer experience to be key brand differentiator by 2020
- The differences between American, European ads and why they matter
- Study: Online video pushing hungry people to burger chains
- Google's HTTPS ranking signal has little to no effect
- 'Huge landmark' as ecommerce mobile traffic overtakes desktop
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...