News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook: Mobile ad revenue jumps from zero to 23%
Facebook has marked another milestone. For the first time ever, the number of daily active users visiting Facebook via a mobile device has outstripped those checking on a desktop.
In a statement announcing the company's fourth-quarter results, Facebook says there are now 1.06 billion active Facebook users across the globe. More than half (618 million) visit daily - a YoY rise of 57%.
Also announced was that 157 million monthly active users only access Facebook from their mobile device, up from just 58 million mobile-only users in Q4 2011.
Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, says the social network has now become a "mobile company".
In Q4 2012, mobile ads accounted for a significant 23% of ad revenue, a big jump from the third quarter when it was 14%.
The social network's finance chief, David Ebersman, said Facebook had "basically doubled" mobile ad revenue from the third quarter to the fourth quarter.
"Two quarters ago we really had no mobile revenue," Ebersman told Reuters. "In the course of a pretty short period of time, we've dramatically ramped up our ability to monetize mobile."
Facebook reported a net income of $64 million on sales of $1.58 billion for Q4 2012. Revenue rose 40% from a year ago, but profit fell 78% as the company incurred charges related to employee stock options.
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...