News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook: Mobile ad revenue jumps from zero to 23%
Facebook has marked another milestone. For the first time ever, the number of daily active users visiting Facebook via a mobile device has outstripped those checking on a desktop.
In a statement announcing the company's fourth-quarter results, Facebook says there are now 1.06 billion active Facebook users across the globe. More than half (618 million) visit daily - a YoY rise of 57%.
Also announced was that 157 million monthly active users only access Facebook from their mobile device, up from just 58 million mobile-only users in Q4 2011.
Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, says the social network has now become a "mobile company".
In Q4 2012, mobile ads accounted for a significant 23% of ad revenue, a big jump from the third quarter when it was 14%.
The social network's finance chief, David Ebersman, said Facebook had "basically doubled" mobile ad revenue from the third quarter to the fourth quarter.
"Two quarters ago we really had no mobile revenue," Ebersman told Reuters. "In the course of a pretty short period of time, we've dramatically ramped up our ability to monetize mobile."
Facebook reported a net income of $64 million on sales of $1.58 billion for Q4 2012. Revenue rose 40% from a year ago, but profit fell 78% as the company incurred charges related to employee stock options.
- How travel brands can do more with data
- Expert: What retailers need to know about EMV
- Study: Utility apps take most of ad spend
- Holidaymakers swindled out of £2.2 million in 2014
- Brits warming to biometric technology for online banking access
- Banks missing out by focusing mobile banking ads on television
- Top 3 tips to add personality to your targeting
- Will 2015 be The Year of Mobile?
Featured White Papers
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...