News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook: Mobile ad revenue jumps from zero to 23%
Facebook has marked another milestone. For the first time ever, the number of daily active users visiting Facebook via a mobile device has outstripped those checking on a desktop.
In a statement announcing the company's fourth-quarter results, Facebook says there are now 1.06 billion active Facebook users across the globe. More than half (618 million) visit daily - a YoY rise of 57%.
Also announced was that 157 million monthly active users only access Facebook from their mobile device, up from just 58 million mobile-only users in Q4 2011.
Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, says the social network has now become a "mobile company".
In Q4 2012, mobile ads accounted for a significant 23% of ad revenue, a big jump from the third quarter when it was 14%.
The social network's finance chief, David Ebersman, said Facebook had "basically doubled" mobile ad revenue from the third quarter to the fourth quarter.
"Two quarters ago we really had no mobile revenue," Ebersman told Reuters. "In the course of a pretty short period of time, we've dramatically ramped up our ability to monetize mobile."
Facebook reported a net income of $64 million on sales of $1.58 billion for Q4 2012. Revenue rose 40% from a year ago, but profit fell 78% as the company incurred charges related to employee stock options.
- Ad Roundup: Retail, ad solutions launched
- Expert IDs drivers for mobile video
- Expert: How to keep employees motivated
- Brands use content marketing primarily for brand awareness
- Salecycle research reveals the perfect abandoned cart email
- Retailers lost 19% of Christmas customers to rivals
- Hope for homeless asking for cash in cashless society
- B2B organizations struggle to provide streamlined, frictionless commerce experiences
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...