News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brands: How to engage with better video content
Don't look for online-only, video web series to take 2013 by storm. Although, one expert does believe there is room to grow with online video. Instead, brands need to look for ways to offer unique, premium content - perhaps outside of YouTube.
I recently chatted with MyPod Studios CEO Jay Miletsky about his thoughts on the video space.
Kristina: What kind of online video content will draw the most viewers (and thus marketers)? Why?
Jay: I'll get hung out to dry for this, but I don't believe the Web is the best breeding ground for unique, episodic content that introduces new characters and follows a story arc. Yes, there have been a few stand out shows that have had some limited success, and some that have built a cult following, but by and large, the Web is not the place where people are going to turn for this. Following story lines and getting to know characters takes time and an emotional investment on the part of the viewer, and the Web simply isn't the place for that.
We've seen the greatest level of interest in content (episodic or stand-alone) that provides information. How-to videos, cooking, exercise, travel guides, etc. These really seem to capture people's attention, maintain their interest and keep them coming back.
Kristina: For your money, what is the most engaging type of video content?
Jay: My favorite marketing tool, though, is branded content, which I believe will start to increase dramatically. If brands can't get users to watch a 30 second ad, they can get to watch a 3 minute branded content piece if it's done right. A lot of brands can't resist the temptation to oversell their product or service, which ends up turning viewers off pretty quickly. But I think this year, as brands realize the value of video and branded content, they'll become more sophisticated in their productions, and we'll see more effective, valuable results.
Check back on Tuesday for Jay's top advice for video marketers.
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...