News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brands: How to engage with better video content
Don't look for online-only, video web series to take 2013 by storm. Although, one expert does believe there is room to grow with online video. Instead, brands need to look for ways to offer unique, premium content - perhaps outside of YouTube.
I recently chatted with MyPod Studios CEO Jay Miletsky about his thoughts on the video space.
Kristina: What kind of online video content will draw the most viewers (and thus marketers)? Why?
Jay: I'll get hung out to dry for this, but I don't believe the Web is the best breeding ground for unique, episodic content that introduces new characters and follows a story arc. Yes, there have been a few stand out shows that have had some limited success, and some that have built a cult following, but by and large, the Web is not the place where people are going to turn for this. Following story lines and getting to know characters takes time and an emotional investment on the part of the viewer, and the Web simply isn't the place for that.
We've seen the greatest level of interest in content (episodic or stand-alone) that provides information. How-to videos, cooking, exercise, travel guides, etc. These really seem to capture people's attention, maintain their interest and keep them coming back.
Kristina: For your money, what is the most engaging type of video content?
Jay: My favorite marketing tool, though, is branded content, which I believe will start to increase dramatically. If brands can't get users to watch a 30 second ad, they can get to watch a 3 minute branded content piece if it's done right. A lot of brands can't resist the temptation to oversell their product or service, which ends up turning viewers off pretty quickly. But I think this year, as brands realize the value of video and branded content, they'll become more sophisticated in their productions, and we'll see more effective, valuable results.
Check back on Tuesday for Jay's top advice for video marketers.
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
- How to measure engagement to reach a deeper customer relationship
- Survey: Amazon influencing back to school shoppers
- Hilton gives guests greater control with significant app upgrade
- Top 3 tips for better channel optimization
- Study: Sales, marketing disconnect resulting in bad customer experience
- UK businesses failing to consistently and effectively employ social for customer support
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...