News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Are one-click unsubscribe links in email hurting your marketing?
Email testing and tracking company Litmus have come up with a neat solution to an email problem many marketers don't even know they have - the 'silent unsubscribe'.
It wasn't until a fan of the Litmus newsletter unsubscribed that the team at the email testing and tracking company thought something was awry.
You see, not only was this person a long-time subscriber, but he had just shared an email newsletter with 85 of his co-workers. That didn't strike them as being the behavior of someone who would then go on to unsubscribe, and it left them scratching their heads.
After some investigation, the team at Litmus discovered what had gone wrong. One of the 85 recipients of the forwarded email newsletter had mistaken it for spam and clicked the unsubscribe list.
Trouble is, the unsubscribe link was linked to the original recipient - their die-hard fan. The one-click unsubscribe process meant that no confirmation of the unsubscribe was presented to the original recipient who forwarded the email.
Using a technique that changes the content of a forwarded email, Litmus have come up with a solution to the problem of 'silent unsubscribes', the full details of which can be found on their blog.
"This technique should be standard practice for every email marketer," writes Litmus guest blogger Jonathan Kim. "It decreases the silent unsubscribe rate, has decent client support and degrades gracefully for clients like Gmail."
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...