News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Are one-click unsubscribe links in email hurting your marketing?
Email testing and tracking company Litmus have come up with a neat solution to an email problem many marketers don't even know they have - the 'silent unsubscribe'.
It wasn't until a fan of the Litmus newsletter unsubscribed that the team at the email testing and tracking company thought something was awry.
You see, not only was this person a long-time subscriber, but he had just shared an email newsletter with 85 of his co-workers. That didn't strike them as being the behavior of someone who would then go on to unsubscribe, and it left them scratching their heads.
After some investigation, the team at Litmus discovered what had gone wrong. One of the 85 recipients of the forwarded email newsletter had mistaken it for spam and clicked the unsubscribe list.
Trouble is, the unsubscribe link was linked to the original recipient - their die-hard fan. The one-click unsubscribe process meant that no confirmation of the unsubscribe was presented to the original recipient who forwarded the email.
Using a technique that changes the content of a forwarded email, Litmus have come up with a solution to the problem of 'silent unsubscribes', the full details of which can be found on their blog.
"This technique should be standard practice for every email marketer," writes Litmus guest blogger Jonathan Kim. "It decreases the silent unsubscribe rate, has decent client support and degrades gracefully for clients like Gmail."
- Ad Roundup: Email and experience tools
- RichRelevance: Site Search key for shoppers
- How loyalty data can improve the shopper experience
- UK consumers will have 12 billion click-to-call conversations this year
- Consumers to brands: Don't call me maybe
- Brands risk reputation when delivery speeds do not match purchaser expectations
- Ad experience improves but ad blocking still rising
- Research reveals power of user-generated images in reviews
Featured White Papers
- The Keys to a 'Stop 'em & Grab 'em' Landing Page
Follow these keys when developing your landing page, and in no time you will have all of the traffic and...