News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Apps: Facebook finishes 2012 ahead of Google Maps in U.S.
Facebook is America's most-used mobile app, according to new figures released by comScore, and has by far the highest levels of engagement.
Until October, 2012, Google Maps was the leading mobile app in terms of usage. However, it was all change in mid-September when Apple dropped Google Maps as a default app.
Since then, Facebook's mobile app has taken the lead. In December 2012, Facebook had 85.5 million unique visitors compared with Google Maps' 74.6 million.
The release of Google Maps as a standalone app for Apple's iOS has seen usage start to climb once more.
Google won't be too dismayed at the performance of Google Maps, its products already take up half of the comScore top 10, including Gmail, YouTube, Google Search and Google Play.
Facebook also wins hands down when it comes to mobile engagement. While all of Google's apps, collectively, account for a 10% share of time spent in apps, a whopping 23% share was spent on Facebook.
"2013 will present an interesting dynamic as Google and Facebook wrestle for app supremacy, while other media properties look to carve out a niche or establish a more prominent position. Will Twitter, Amazon or eBay find their way into the top 10 apps this year? Will engagement on the Netflix app skyrocket as people become more comfortable viewing video on their phones? What will be the next Instagram to come out of nowhere to build an audience of tens of millions in a few short months?" asks comScore.
"If there is one thing we can all bet on, it's that the market will look very different a year from now. And may the best apps win."
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...