News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Apps: Facebook finishes 2012 ahead of Google Maps in U.S.
Facebook is America's most-used mobile app, according to new figures released by comScore, and has by far the highest levels of engagement.
Until October, 2012, Google Maps was the leading mobile app in terms of usage. However, it was all change in mid-September when Apple dropped Google Maps as a default app.
Since then, Facebook's mobile app has taken the lead. In December 2012, Facebook had 85.5 million unique visitors compared with Google Maps' 74.6 million.
The release of Google Maps as a standalone app for Apple's iOS has seen usage start to climb once more.
Google won't be too dismayed at the performance of Google Maps, its products already take up half of the comScore top 10, including Gmail, YouTube, Google Search and Google Play.
Facebook also wins hands down when it comes to mobile engagement. While all of Google's apps, collectively, account for a 10% share of time spent in apps, a whopping 23% share was spent on Facebook.
"2013 will present an interesting dynamic as Google and Facebook wrestle for app supremacy, while other media properties look to carve out a niche or establish a more prominent position. Will Twitter, Amazon or eBay find their way into the top 10 apps this year? Will engagement on the Netflix app skyrocket as people become more comfortable viewing video on their phones? What will be the next Instagram to come out of nowhere to build an audience of tens of millions in a few short months?" asks comScore.
"If there is one thing we can all bet on, it's that the market will look very different a year from now. And may the best apps win."
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....