News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Apps: Facebook finishes 2012 ahead of Google Maps in U.S.
Facebook is America's most-used mobile app, according to new figures released by comScore, and has by far the highest levels of engagement.
Until October, 2012, Google Maps was the leading mobile app in terms of usage. However, it was all change in mid-September when Apple dropped Google Maps as a default app.
Since then, Facebook's mobile app has taken the lead. In December 2012, Facebook had 85.5 million unique visitors compared with Google Maps' 74.6 million.
The release of Google Maps as a standalone app for Apple's iOS has seen usage start to climb once more.
Google won't be too dismayed at the performance of Google Maps, its products already take up half of the comScore top 10, including Gmail, YouTube, Google Search and Google Play.
Facebook also wins hands down when it comes to mobile engagement. While all of Google's apps, collectively, account for a 10% share of time spent in apps, a whopping 23% share was spent on Facebook.
"2013 will present an interesting dynamic as Google and Facebook wrestle for app supremacy, while other media properties look to carve out a niche or establish a more prominent position. Will Twitter, Amazon or eBay find their way into the top 10 apps this year? Will engagement on the Netflix app skyrocket as people become more comfortable viewing video on their phones? What will be the next Instagram to come out of nowhere to build an audience of tens of millions in a few short months?" asks comScore.
"If there is one thing we can all bet on, it's that the market will look very different a year from now. And may the best apps win."
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...