News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
72% of mobile users harbor security, privacy concerns
New research from TRUSTe reveals that, far from becoming more confident about mobile device use, users are more concerned today about security and privacy than they were a year ago.
Despite mobile finding its way into most daily routines, a survey of 2,166 US adults found that 72% of smartphone users say they are more concerned about privacy on their smartphone than they were one year ago.
Furthermore, 81% say they are avoiding applications that they don't believe protect their privacy.
"With e-commerce booming, and mobile phones predicted to overtake PCs as the most popular way to get online, it's clear that mobile privacy is the latest hot issue for consumers and legislators alike," said Chris Babel, CEO of TRUSTe.
In terms of overall online privacy, 67% 'sometimes' or 'always' worry about it and consumer distrust is up slightly in January 2013 (43%) compared with the same time last year (41%).
Activities that cause consumers concern include:
- Shopping (89%)
- Social networks (87%)
- Online banking (86%)
- Email (82%)
- Mobile apps (77%)
The TRUSTe data has a timely release with the 28th January being Data Privacy Day. Held every January 28th since 2008, Data Privacy Day is an effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...