News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
72% of mobile users harbor security, privacy concerns
New research from TRUSTe reveals that, far from becoming more confident about mobile device use, users are more concerned today about security and privacy than they were a year ago.
Despite mobile finding its way into most daily routines, a survey of 2,166 US adults found that 72% of smartphone users say they are more concerned about privacy on their smartphone than they were one year ago.
Furthermore, 81% say they are avoiding applications that they don't believe protect their privacy.
"With e-commerce booming, and mobile phones predicted to overtake PCs as the most popular way to get online, it's clear that mobile privacy is the latest hot issue for consumers and legislators alike," said Chris Babel, CEO of TRUSTe.
In terms of overall online privacy, 67% 'sometimes' or 'always' worry about it and consumer distrust is up slightly in January 2013 (43%) compared with the same time last year (41%).
Activities that cause consumers concern include:
- Shopping (89%)
- Social networks (87%)
- Online banking (86%)
- Email (82%)
- Mobile apps (77%)
The TRUSTe data has a timely release with the 28th January being Data Privacy Day. Held every January 28th since 2008, Data Privacy Day is an effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint.
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...