News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
72% of mobile users harbor security, privacy concerns
New research from TRUSTe reveals that, far from becoming more confident about mobile device use, users are more concerned today about security and privacy than they were a year ago.
Despite mobile finding its way into most daily routines, a survey of 2,166 US adults found that 72% of smartphone users say they are more concerned about privacy on their smartphone than they were one year ago.
Furthermore, 81% say they are avoiding applications that they don't believe protect their privacy.
"With e-commerce booming, and mobile phones predicted to overtake PCs as the most popular way to get online, it's clear that mobile privacy is the latest hot issue for consumers and legislators alike," said Chris Babel, CEO of TRUSTe.
In terms of overall online privacy, 67% 'sometimes' or 'always' worry about it and consumer distrust is up slightly in January 2013 (43%) compared with the same time last year (41%).
Activities that cause consumers concern include:
- Shopping (89%)
- Social networks (87%)
- Online banking (86%)
- Email (82%)
- Mobile apps (77%)
The TRUSTe data has a timely release with the 28th January being Data Privacy Day. Held every January 28th since 2008, Data Privacy Day is an effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint.
- Demandbase: What won't happen in 2015
- Ecommerce Roundup: Shoppers findings leads on social media
- Report: Analysis high on B2Bers New Year List
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...