News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
72% of mobile users harbor security, privacy concerns
New research from TRUSTe reveals that, far from becoming more confident about mobile device use, users are more concerned today about security and privacy than they were a year ago.
Despite mobile finding its way into most daily routines, a survey of 2,166 US adults found that 72% of smartphone users say they are more concerned about privacy on their smartphone than they were one year ago.
Furthermore, 81% say they are avoiding applications that they don't believe protect their privacy.
"With e-commerce booming, and mobile phones predicted to overtake PCs as the most popular way to get online, it's clear that mobile privacy is the latest hot issue for consumers and legislators alike," said Chris Babel, CEO of TRUSTe.
In terms of overall online privacy, 67% 'sometimes' or 'always' worry about it and consumer distrust is up slightly in January 2013 (43%) compared with the same time last year (41%).
Activities that cause consumers concern include:
- Shopping (89%)
- Social networks (87%)
- Online banking (86%)
- Email (82%)
- Mobile apps (77%)
The TRUSTe data has a timely release with the 28th January being Data Privacy Day. Held every January 28th since 2008, Data Privacy Day is an effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint.
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
- Report urges brands to go their own way and sell direct
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
- Programmatic spending skyrockets through Nexage Markeplace
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
Featured White Papers
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...