News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
72% of mobile users harbor security, privacy concerns
New research from TRUSTe reveals that, far from becoming more confident about mobile device use, users are more concerned today about security and privacy than they were a year ago.
Despite mobile finding its way into most daily routines, a survey of 2,166 US adults found that 72% of smartphone users say they are more concerned about privacy on their smartphone than they were one year ago.
Furthermore, 81% say they are avoiding applications that they don't believe protect their privacy.
"With e-commerce booming, and mobile phones predicted to overtake PCs as the most popular way to get online, it's clear that mobile privacy is the latest hot issue for consumers and legislators alike," said Chris Babel, CEO of TRUSTe.
In terms of overall online privacy, 67% 'sometimes' or 'always' worry about it and consumer distrust is up slightly in January 2013 (43%) compared with the same time last year (41%).
Activities that cause consumers concern include:
- Shopping (89%)
- Social networks (87%)
- Online banking (86%)
- Email (82%)
- Mobile apps (77%)
The TRUSTe data has a timely release with the 28th January being Data Privacy Day. Held every January 28th since 2008, Data Privacy Day is an effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint.
- Expert: Why SMBs are pushing farther into digital
- Top 3 challenges facing retailers and how to solve them
- How to get past personas and into consumers' interests
- European Commission forces Google, Apple to make users aware of 'true cost' of an app
- Top 3 tips to improve seasonal marketing plans
- Research: Social media users less likely to post positively about their favorite products
- Twitter preps for new generation of commerce experiences
- iBeacon firm offers free hardware and installation to UK retailers
Featured White Papers
- Everything You Need to Know About Social Media for Your Business
While social media practitioners must continue to expect and adapt to change, it is important to take note of the...