News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
63% of travelers don't want to engage airlines, hotels via social media
Today's travel bookers and travelers aren't using social and mobile to interact with brands and book a vacation. New research from Deloitte reveals that it's the tried-and-tested online methods that remain popular today.
The Deloitte study, "A Restoration in Loyalty", focuses on the decline of loyalty among today's pragmatic travelers, citing that only 8% always stay at the same brand of hotel and just 14% always fly with the same airline.
It reveals that "while earning and redeeming points are the most important attributes for choosing hotel and airline loyalty programs, travel brands should focus on enhancing the customer experience, making rewards personally meaningful, encouraging loyalty with unexpected rewards if they want to boost consumer engagement, and ultimately building long-term customer relationships."
As well as other interesting loyalty and loyalty scheme findings, the study also touches on the use of, and attitudes towards, mobile and social media among travelers and travel bookers.
Deloitte found that the majority of consumers continue to use, and prefer, traditional online methods of interaction with a travel brand. Their desire for a secure and easy purchase process, discounts by email and up-to-date travel news means 61% of consumers use hotel websites most frequently and 59% use airline websites the most.
In fact, the research found that 63% of respondents don't want to interact with a travel brand via social media, and 44% never visit travel-related social media or review sites.
Mobile is also shunned by travelers - a whopping 80% have never downloaded a hotel or airline app to their mobile device.
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...