News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
2013 - the year of the virtual fitting room?
Big fashion brands, including Adidas and Hugo Boss, are implementing virtual online fitting rooms in a bid to reduce return rates and improve customer satisfaction.
Buying clothing online has always had its problems. It's hard to judge the quality and feel of a fabric, sometimes difficult to ascertain the exact hue of an outfit and, the most common problem of all, knowing whether it will actually fit.
In fact, such are consumers concerns that many won't purchase clothing online unless returns are free.
Research carried out last year by UK virtual fitting room company, Fits.me, involving 1,000 UK consumers, found that 60% won't purchase clothing online if a retailer does not offer free returns.
"Consumers don't trust the sizing information they see online, and with good reason: there are no universal sizing standards, and sizing may vary considerably even within a single retailer," says Heikki Haldre, founder and chief executive of Fits.me.
To get around the problem, many online shoppers (41%) are ordering multiple sizes for one item and returning those that don't fit. This costs those retailers offering free returns a lot of money, not only in postage but in re-warehousing and, possibly, discounting for resale.
"Returns are very damaging to profitability and what we may be seeing is that retailers are reaching some kind of tipping point, forcing them to address the issue," says Haldre. "We are experiencing a great deal of not just interest in our virtual fitting room, but real intent."
Fits.me's software-as-service tool allows shoppers to enter their measurements which are then modeled on a robotic mannequin to show how clothes fit various shape and size combinations.
Brands that have recently signed up for Fits.me's online fitting rooms include Adidas, Hugo Boss, L.K. Bennett, Nicole Fahri and Superdry. Each brand has a customized fitting room which will be launched in time for Spring/Summer collections.
- Survey: Online, offline shopping experiences 'merging'
- Message Systems flips email to up engagement
- Marketers beware - research your target market or risk stereotyping
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
- Survey: Consumers want to share product details with friends
- PageFair: Adblocking Goes Mainstream
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...