News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
2013 - the year of the virtual fitting room?
Big fashion brands, including Adidas and Hugo Boss, are implementing virtual online fitting rooms in a bid to reduce return rates and improve customer satisfaction.
Buying clothing online has always had its problems. It's hard to judge the quality and feel of a fabric, sometimes difficult to ascertain the exact hue of an outfit and, the most common problem of all, knowing whether it will actually fit.
In fact, such are consumers concerns that many won't purchase clothing online unless returns are free.
Research carried out last year by UK virtual fitting room company, Fits.me, involving 1,000 UK consumers, found that 60% won't purchase clothing online if a retailer does not offer free returns.
"Consumers don't trust the sizing information they see online, and with good reason: there are no universal sizing standards, and sizing may vary considerably even within a single retailer," says Heikki Haldre, founder and chief executive of Fits.me.
To get around the problem, many online shoppers (41%) are ordering multiple sizes for one item and returning those that don't fit. This costs those retailers offering free returns a lot of money, not only in postage but in re-warehousing and, possibly, discounting for resale.
"Returns are very damaging to profitability and what we may be seeing is that retailers are reaching some kind of tipping point, forcing them to address the issue," says Haldre. "We are experiencing a great deal of not just interest in our virtual fitting room, but real intent."
Fits.me's software-as-service tool allows shoppers to enter their measurements which are then modeled on a robotic mannequin to show how clothes fit various shape and size combinations.
Brands that have recently signed up for Fits.me's online fitting rooms include Adidas, Hugo Boss, L.K. Bennett, Nicole Fahri and Superdry. Each brand has a customized fitting room which will be launched in time for Spring/Summer collections.
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....