News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
What the increase in online shopping means for retailers
Over the first month (November 1 through December 2) online spending is up 14% (2011 vs. 2012); added to that three individual days have surpassed the $1 billion mark. What does this increase in online shopping mean for retailers? Our expert weighs in.
Kristina: How is mobile faring with this increase of shoppers and purchase conversions?
Matt Grebow, Senior Manager, Paid Media, The Search Agency: In Q3 2012, mobile (smartphone + tablet) accounted for 22% of all click traffic on search. Over the five day holiday period in 2012 (11/22-11/26), 27.5% of click traffic was from mobile devices. Whether for direct purchasing or for researching and informing purchase behaviors, mobile is playing a rapidly increasing role in the purchase decision process. Advertisers should analyze their conversion data to determine how multiple channels are informing purchase behavior.
Kristina: Three days, according to comScore, have now pushed past the $1 billion mark (ecommerce, 2012); what does this mean for merchants?
Matt: Merchants can no longer afford to be present through traditional means. The 2010 playbook for holiday promotions and planning must evolve with the trends, which includes innovative, differentiating approaches to remain relevant with the changing audience behaviors. Smartphone and tablet strategies are requirements for success.
Kristina: What shopping trends are you seeing from mobile consumers this holiday season?
Matt: The simple answer is research. Consumers are getting savvier at finding the best deals possible and when they need information, they turn to their smartphones. Every purchase is a considered purchase now, no matter how much is being spent.
More from Matt and The Search Agency on Monday, including tips for creating a more user-friendly mobile space.
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...