News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
What the increase in online shopping means for retailers
Over the first month (November 1 through December 2) online spending is up 14% (2011 vs. 2012); added to that three individual days have surpassed the $1 billion mark. What does this increase in online shopping mean for retailers? Our expert weighs in.
Kristina: How is mobile faring with this increase of shoppers and purchase conversions?
Matt Grebow, Senior Manager, Paid Media, The Search Agency: In Q3 2012, mobile (smartphone + tablet) accounted for 22% of all click traffic on search. Over the five day holiday period in 2012 (11/22-11/26), 27.5% of click traffic was from mobile devices. Whether for direct purchasing or for researching and informing purchase behaviors, mobile is playing a rapidly increasing role in the purchase decision process. Advertisers should analyze their conversion data to determine how multiple channels are informing purchase behavior.
Kristina: Three days, according to comScore, have now pushed past the $1 billion mark (ecommerce, 2012); what does this mean for merchants?
Matt: Merchants can no longer afford to be present through traditional means. The 2010 playbook for holiday promotions and planning must evolve with the trends, which includes innovative, differentiating approaches to remain relevant with the changing audience behaviors. Smartphone and tablet strategies are requirements for success.
Kristina: What shopping trends are you seeing from mobile consumers this holiday season?
Matt: The simple answer is research. Consumers are getting savvier at finding the best deals possible and when they need information, they turn to their smartphones. Every purchase is a considered purchase now, no matter how much is being spent.
More from Matt and The Search Agency on Monday, including tips for creating a more user-friendly mobile space.
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...