News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
What the increase in online shopping means for retailers
Over the first month (November 1 through December 2) online spending is up 14% (2011 vs. 2012); added to that three individual days have surpassed the $1 billion mark. What does this increase in online shopping mean for retailers? Our expert weighs in.
Kristina: How is mobile faring with this increase of shoppers and purchase conversions?
Matt Grebow, Senior Manager, Paid Media, The Search Agency: In Q3 2012, mobile (smartphone + tablet) accounted for 22% of all click traffic on search. Over the five day holiday period in 2012 (11/22-11/26), 27.5% of click traffic was from mobile devices. Whether for direct purchasing or for researching and informing purchase behaviors, mobile is playing a rapidly increasing role in the purchase decision process. Advertisers should analyze their conversion data to determine how multiple channels are informing purchase behavior.
Kristina: Three days, according to comScore, have now pushed past the $1 billion mark (ecommerce, 2012); what does this mean for merchants?
Matt: Merchants can no longer afford to be present through traditional means. The 2010 playbook for holiday promotions and planning must evolve with the trends, which includes innovative, differentiating approaches to remain relevant with the changing audience behaviors. Smartphone and tablet strategies are requirements for success.
Kristina: What shopping trends are you seeing from mobile consumers this holiday season?
Matt: The simple answer is research. Consumers are getting savvier at finding the best deals possible and when they need information, they turn to their smartphones. Every purchase is a considered purchase now, no matter how much is being spent.
More from Matt and The Search Agency on Monday, including tips for creating a more user-friendly mobile space.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...