News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
What the increase in online shopping means for retailers
Over the first month (November 1 through December 2) online spending is up 14% (2011 vs. 2012); added to that three individual days have surpassed the $1 billion mark. What does this increase in online shopping mean for retailers? Our expert weighs in.
Kristina: How is mobile faring with this increase of shoppers and purchase conversions?
Matt Grebow, Senior Manager, Paid Media, The Search Agency: In Q3 2012, mobile (smartphone + tablet) accounted for 22% of all click traffic on search. Over the five day holiday period in 2012 (11/22-11/26), 27.5% of click traffic was from mobile devices. Whether for direct purchasing or for researching and informing purchase behaviors, mobile is playing a rapidly increasing role in the purchase decision process. Advertisers should analyze their conversion data to determine how multiple channels are informing purchase behavior.
Kristina: Three days, according to comScore, have now pushed past the $1 billion mark (ecommerce, 2012); what does this mean for merchants?
Matt: Merchants can no longer afford to be present through traditional means. The 2010 playbook for holiday promotions and planning must evolve with the trends, which includes innovative, differentiating approaches to remain relevant with the changing audience behaviors. Smartphone and tablet strategies are requirements for success.
Kristina: What shopping trends are you seeing from mobile consumers this holiday season?
Matt: The simple answer is research. Consumers are getting savvier at finding the best deals possible and when they need information, they turn to their smartphones. Every purchase is a considered purchase now, no matter how much is being spent.
More from Matt and The Search Agency on Monday, including tips for creating a more user-friendly mobile space.
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
- Study IDs disconnect between brands, consumers
- Consumers trust doctors and government with personal data more than they do advertisers
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...