News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Velti: Android market share plummets
Android may still hold the reins on the US mobile marketplace, but new data out from Velti shows the Android market share actually fell dramatically in 2012 - both in the US and internationally. While Android held a 61% share as of 2011, that share dropped to 37% in 2012.
Velti's report credits the iPad Mini and iPhone 5 for helping Apple push ahead of Android for the year. On the Velti network, for example, researchers highlight the fact that iPad Mini served more total impressions at the end of November than Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 did for the whole of 2012. Other interesting findings include:
• Samsung Galaxy S3 released in May 2012, iPhone 5 released in September but iPhone caught the number of Galaxy impressions by November 30
• Impressions served from photo apps increased nearly 400% (January 1 - November 30)
• Android users are more engaged with productivity apps (5.7% impression share
• AT&T serves 45% of mobile impressions (US)
"Looking back at 2012, we really see Apple's power over the mobile landscape,"said Krishna Subramanian, CMO of Velti. "A great example: despite the fact that China Mobile is the biggest carrier in China, it has low overall mobile impressions, without theiPhone, and advertisers in this market just aren't reaching consumers in the volume they could. This is incredibly valuable insight for marketers and brands. At the end of 2012, iOS devices held a 63 percent share of the market--so we know that Apple holds the key to reaching consumers."
The study also found that real time bidding is paying off - researchers say RTB-served ads have higher click through rates than other ads (via Velti Mobclix Exchange).
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- Build Your Business Case For Social Selling
Are you ready to build your business case for social selling? Do you need some help? Download this PowerPoint deck...
- The High Cost of Free: Does Online Video Quality Influence Consumer Perception of your Brand?
6 Billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube .... That's almost 1 hour for every person on...