News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Velti: Android market share plummets
Android may still hold the reins on the US mobile marketplace, but new data out from Velti shows the Android market share actually fell dramatically in 2012 - both in the US and internationally. While Android held a 61% share as of 2011, that share dropped to 37% in 2012.
Velti's report credits the iPad Mini and iPhone 5 for helping Apple push ahead of Android for the year. On the Velti network, for example, researchers highlight the fact that iPad Mini served more total impressions at the end of November than Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 did for the whole of 2012. Other interesting findings include:
• Samsung Galaxy S3 released in May 2012, iPhone 5 released in September but iPhone caught the number of Galaxy impressions by November 30
• Impressions served from photo apps increased nearly 400% (January 1 - November 30)
• Android users are more engaged with productivity apps (5.7% impression share
• AT&T serves 45% of mobile impressions (US)
"Looking back at 2012, we really see Apple's power over the mobile landscape,"said Krishna Subramanian, CMO of Velti. "A great example: despite the fact that China Mobile is the biggest carrier in China, it has low overall mobile impressions, without theiPhone, and advertisers in this market just aren't reaching consumers in the volume they could. This is incredibly valuable insight for marketers and brands. At the end of 2012, iOS devices held a 63 percent share of the market--so we know that Apple holds the key to reaching consumers."
The study also found that real time bidding is paying off - researchers say RTB-served ads have higher click through rates than other ads (via Velti Mobclix Exchange).
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
- Why the press release is (still) not dead
- Expert: Why B2Bers need social
- Is your branded content memorable?
- Study: Most believe personalization key to success
- Report: Most Amazon sellers looking for new marketplaces
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...