News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
The iPhone 5 effect on app downloads
The launch of the iPhone 5 in September is a major contributor to the dramatic increase in app downloads in October, according to app marketing start-up Fiksu.
On September 21, 2012, Apple launched the iPhone 5. In the following month, app downloads increased significantly to 5.4 million daily downloads, up 33%, according to Fiksu, who believe the two are connected.
As well as the leap in downloads, Fiksu reports that the cost to acquire a loyal app user has continued to decrease. In October the cost went down by 7 cents, or 6%, from $1.13 in September.
"Organic searches soared during the month, as users eagerly explored the App Store, enthusiastically searching for new apps to download on their new iPhones," writes Viki Zabala, VP of marketing at Fiksu, on the company blog. "So while costs for conversions were equal or higher during this time, the heighted period of organic, natural discovery drove down the cost to acquire and engage loyal users."
The release of the iPhone 4 in October, 2011, saw similar rises when traffic rose by 29%. However, this time around consumers took more time to select and download new apps instead of downloading many all at once.
"This shift may lead to an even steadier, more sustained opportunity for mobile app marketers in the weeks - even months - following a major device launch," says Zabala.
- Nielsen: Generations bucking preconceived notions of behavior
- Study reveals shopping habits not influenced by Black Friday flash sales
- Study: Shoppers plan to spend more, save more this holiday
- How to respond to bad reviews
- Top tips for a better 2016 IT strategy
- Click-and-collect drives additional in-store sales
- Oxford Dictionaries announces 'word of the year' and it is not a word
- Last-minute shopping on the rise during holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...