News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
The iPhone 5 effect on app downloads
The launch of the iPhone 5 in September is a major contributor to the dramatic increase in app downloads in October, according to app marketing start-up Fiksu.
On September 21, 2012, Apple launched the iPhone 5. In the following month, app downloads increased significantly to 5.4 million daily downloads, up 33%, according to Fiksu, who believe the two are connected.
As well as the leap in downloads, Fiksu reports that the cost to acquire a loyal app user has continued to decrease. In October the cost went down by 7 cents, or 6%, from $1.13 in September.
"Organic searches soared during the month, as users eagerly explored the App Store, enthusiastically searching for new apps to download on their new iPhones," writes Viki Zabala, VP of marketing at Fiksu, on the company blog. "So while costs for conversions were equal or higher during this time, the heighted period of organic, natural discovery drove down the cost to acquire and engage loyal users."
The release of the iPhone 4 in October, 2011, saw similar rises when traffic rose by 29%. However, this time around consumers took more time to select and download new apps instead of downloading many all at once.
"This shift may lead to an even steadier, more sustained opportunity for mobile app marketers in the weeks - even months - following a major device launch," says Zabala.
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...