News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
The iPhone 5 effect on app downloads
The launch of the iPhone 5 in September is a major contributor to the dramatic increase in app downloads in October, according to app marketing start-up Fiksu.
On September 21, 2012, Apple launched the iPhone 5. In the following month, app downloads increased significantly to 5.4 million daily downloads, up 33%, according to Fiksu, who believe the two are connected.
As well as the leap in downloads, Fiksu reports that the cost to acquire a loyal app user has continued to decrease. In October the cost went down by 7 cents, or 6%, from $1.13 in September.
"Organic searches soared during the month, as users eagerly explored the App Store, enthusiastically searching for new apps to download on their new iPhones," writes Viki Zabala, VP of marketing at Fiksu, on the company blog. "So while costs for conversions were equal or higher during this time, the heighted period of organic, natural discovery drove down the cost to acquire and engage loyal users."
The release of the iPhone 4 in October, 2011, saw similar rises when traffic rose by 29%. However, this time around consumers took more time to select and download new apps instead of downloading many all at once.
"This shift may lead to an even steadier, more sustained opportunity for mobile app marketers in the weeks - even months - following a major device launch," says Zabala.
- Ad RoundUp: Partnerships increase ad support across channels
- Report: Fraud, conversions linked to traffic numbers
- Mobile Roundup: New solutions, partnerships to help mobile brands
- Expert: Non-Profits can thrive in the online space
- Mobile Roundup: Mobile wallets upping the retail ante
- Report: US, UK users vulnerable because of passwords
- Study: Images linked to email success
- Millennial Media: Video increases engagement
Featured White Papers
- Measure What Matters: Five Features to Enable Now On Google Analytics
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for gaining insights into user behavior and gathering data for site optimization. Unfortunately, in...
- A lot of what you know about email marketing could be wrong
There is a lot of email-marketing advice floating around out there. And, frankly, a lot of it is bad. Hunches...