News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
The iPhone 5 effect on app downloads
The launch of the iPhone 5 in September is a major contributor to the dramatic increase in app downloads in October, according to app marketing start-up Fiksu.
On September 21, 2012, Apple launched the iPhone 5. In the following month, app downloads increased significantly to 5.4 million daily downloads, up 33%, according to Fiksu, who believe the two are connected.
As well as the leap in downloads, Fiksu reports that the cost to acquire a loyal app user has continued to decrease. In October the cost went down by 7 cents, or 6%, from $1.13 in September.
"Organic searches soared during the month, as users eagerly explored the App Store, enthusiastically searching for new apps to download on their new iPhones," writes Viki Zabala, VP of marketing at Fiksu, on the company blog. "So while costs for conversions were equal or higher during this time, the heighted period of organic, natural discovery drove down the cost to acquire and engage loyal users."
The release of the iPhone 4 in October, 2011, saw similar rises when traffic rose by 29%. However, this time around consumers took more time to select and download new apps instead of downloading many all at once.
"This shift may lead to an even steadier, more sustained opportunity for mobile app marketers in the weeks - even months - following a major device launch," says Zabala.
- Six ways to increase the performance of your Pinterest Pins
- Personalization key to becoming a 'Best Friend Brand'
- Young mobile users annoyed by ads in apps
- Top 3 tips to harness dark social data
- Report: M:Commerce share up one-third
- Consumer engagement with mobile ads on the rise
- Android dominates smartphone market
- How to tell if social is right for your brand
Featured White Papers
- How to Create a Mobile Device Storefront
It is estimated that 55% of Americans regularly shop online at an average of 15.6 online purchases per year. However,...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Here's why the savvy ones in the business are outsourcing their content right now (and why you should be, too)....