News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
The iPhone 5 effect on app downloads
The launch of the iPhone 5 in September is a major contributor to the dramatic increase in app downloads in October, according to app marketing start-up Fiksu.
On September 21, 2012, Apple launched the iPhone 5. In the following month, app downloads increased significantly to 5.4 million daily downloads, up 33%, according to Fiksu, who believe the two are connected.
As well as the leap in downloads, Fiksu reports that the cost to acquire a loyal app user has continued to decrease. In October the cost went down by 7 cents, or 6%, from $1.13 in September.
"Organic searches soared during the month, as users eagerly explored the App Store, enthusiastically searching for new apps to download on their new iPhones," writes Viki Zabala, VP of marketing at Fiksu, on the company blog. "So while costs for conversions were equal or higher during this time, the heighted period of organic, natural discovery drove down the cost to acquire and engage loyal users."
The release of the iPhone 4 in October, 2011, saw similar rises when traffic rose by 29%. However, this time around consumers took more time to select and download new apps instead of downloading many all at once.
"This shift may lead to an even steadier, more sustained opportunity for mobile app marketers in the weeks - even months - following a major device launch," says Zabala.
- Top tips to capitalize on social apps
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...