News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
The biggest events of 2012
2013 is right around the corner, and General Sentiment is helping us take a look at the year that was - in Social Media Land, at least. Here's what was hot in 2012:
The top five events, according to General Sentiment, mostly centered around the 2012 Presidential Election - Election Day ranked highest with more than 17.4 million social media mentions, Superstorm/Hurricane Sandy hitting New Jersey was the second highest ranking event, with 9.4 million mentions while the SOPA/PIPA Blackout ranked third (8.7 million mentions). The Second Presidential Debate and the Vice Presidential Debate ranked fourth and fifth.
Election Day was nearly double the volume of its closest competing event, as Republicans, Democrats and Independent voters hit their various social networks to support their candidates. It's interesting to note that the first Social Olympics - the 2012 London Games - didn't make the top five. With so many people - and athletes - tweeting pictures and updating statuses with images and results, the games still only ranked eighth, with a volume at just over 6 million.
It's also interesting to look at the 'big' events that didn't make the top fifteen - including the viral video hit "Gangnam Style" by Psy. While a lot of people are talking about the hit and creating their own viral knock-offs, the highest volume Psy got in the social sphere was 243,196; it didn't break the million mark. Other big events that haven't gotten as much attention include both the Democratic and Republican National Conventions, the deaths of Whitney Houston and Neil Armstrong and the movie premieres of The Twilight Saga - Breaking Dawn Part 2 and The Hunger Games.
- GoDaddy, Microsoft partner for SMB solution
- Report: 1 in 4 execs want more transparency
- SMB Roundup: Launches to simplify content, listings
- Study tracks effects of Google search engine updates on user behavior
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
- Report urges brands to go their own way and sell direct
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
Featured White Papers
- Re-Engineer Your Business For Mobile Moments
More than ever, customers are turning to their mobile devices to browse, shop, and research. This increase in usage puts...
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...