News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
The biggest events of 2012
2013 is right around the corner, and General Sentiment is helping us take a look at the year that was - in Social Media Land, at least. Here's what was hot in 2012:
The top five events, according to General Sentiment, mostly centered around the 2012 Presidential Election - Election Day ranked highest with more than 17.4 million social media mentions, Superstorm/Hurricane Sandy hitting New Jersey was the second highest ranking event, with 9.4 million mentions while the SOPA/PIPA Blackout ranked third (8.7 million mentions). The Second Presidential Debate and the Vice Presidential Debate ranked fourth and fifth.
Election Day was nearly double the volume of its closest competing event, as Republicans, Democrats and Independent voters hit their various social networks to support their candidates. It's interesting to note that the first Social Olympics - the 2012 London Games - didn't make the top five. With so many people - and athletes - tweeting pictures and updating statuses with images and results, the games still only ranked eighth, with a volume at just over 6 million.
It's also interesting to look at the 'big' events that didn't make the top fifteen - including the viral video hit "Gangnam Style" by Psy. While a lot of people are talking about the hit and creating their own viral knock-offs, the highest volume Psy got in the social sphere was 243,196; it didn't break the million mark. Other big events that haven't gotten as much attention include both the Democratic and Republican National Conventions, the deaths of Whitney Houston and Neil Armstrong and the movie premieres of The Twilight Saga - Breaking Dawn Part 2 and The Hunger Games.
- Top 3 annoyances for mobile shoppers
- Study: Black Millennials betting on themselves
- Top 3 tips to take Valentine's strategies year-round
- No age limit to looking for love online
- Goodbye second-screening, hello switch-screening
- Less than one-third of emails opened on desktop last year
- Ad Roundup: Platforms for sales, ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to get more from email on Valentine's campaigns
Featured White Papers
- Device of Choice for Online Shoppers & Buyers
Did you know that men shop and buy from mobile devices more than women? Being aware of nuances like this...
- 5 'Must Have' Tactics For Your 2016 Digital Marketing Plan
What are the 5 "must have" tactics that experts agree can help everyone's 2016 digital marketing?...
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....