News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Shoppers buying in-store after seeing online promo
A new report may change how retailers look at online advertising. From Wanderful Media, the study suggests that most online ads and content are actually sending shoppers into stores rather than through virtual storefronts. In fact, researchers say less than 10% of shoppers go to virtual stores after engaging with ads or branded content.
Researchers found that 55% of those surveyed search for products online, find a store location and then go to the store to complete the purchase; 60% of those surveyed said they head for brick-and-mortar stores after receiving promotional emails.
"The lines have blurred between online and in-store shopping and technology enables an experience that easily moves between online and the local retailer. The use of mobile phones and tablets provides the freedom to discover, research or see what your friends are buying, regardless of where you are and many consumers easily switch between devices depending on the task. It's because of these behaviors that our products will be designed to easily and seamlessly move through the entire shopping journey from discovery through purchase with a strong focus on mobile," said Ben T. Smith, IV, CEO of Wanderful Media.
The survey also found sales tax rule changes are forcing more people to shop in-store rather than online - about one-third of men say they'll shop online less because of sales tax adjustments.
• 74% of those surveyed have made impulse buys in-store in the last month, 27% while in the online check-out funnel
• 23% are likely to impulse buy after reading a newspaper, 22% after seeing something on Facebook
• 71% say they prefer online shopping because of research capabilities
• 64% say they prefer in-store shopping because of return policies or so they'll know 'exactly what the product is' (53%)
Meanwhile, people are doing more than shopping - even when researching products online. Of those surveyed, 63% say they shop while watching television, 28% shop while socializing with friends and 24% while online in a café or restaurant.
The study was conducted by Dimensional Research.
- Expert: How to reconnect customers
- Fiksu launches mobile audience platform
- Ad Roundup: Solutions for mobile, online reach
- Imbalanced approach to social means consumers left waiting for response
- Reports show upswing for connected TV, downswing for pay
- Study: Smartphone viewers more likely to click
- How technology can improve the classroom
- Campaign launched to increase awareness of role of ads in funding free online editorial
Featured White Papers
- B2B Marketing Automation Platforms 2015: A Marketer's Guide
This report was prepared by conducting in-depth interviews with leading vendors and industry experts....
- Why Marketing Should Be Personal
Read our report, Why Marketing Should be Personal, created in partnership with Econsultancy, to learn why 700 marketers ranked personalization...
- Digital Trends 2015
Download the 2015 Digital Trends report, created in partnership with Econsultancy, to see the trends and tools you need to...