News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Shoppers buying in-store after seeing online promo
A new report may change how retailers look at online advertising. From Wanderful Media, the study suggests that most online ads and content are actually sending shoppers into stores rather than through virtual storefronts. In fact, researchers say less than 10% of shoppers go to virtual stores after engaging with ads or branded content.
Researchers found that 55% of those surveyed search for products online, find a store location and then go to the store to complete the purchase; 60% of those surveyed said they head for brick-and-mortar stores after receiving promotional emails.
"The lines have blurred between online and in-store shopping and technology enables an experience that easily moves between online and the local retailer. The use of mobile phones and tablets provides the freedom to discover, research or see what your friends are buying, regardless of where you are and many consumers easily switch between devices depending on the task. It's because of these behaviors that our products will be designed to easily and seamlessly move through the entire shopping journey from discovery through purchase with a strong focus on mobile," said Ben T. Smith, IV, CEO of Wanderful Media.
The survey also found sales tax rule changes are forcing more people to shop in-store rather than online - about one-third of men say they'll shop online less because of sales tax adjustments.
• 74% of those surveyed have made impulse buys in-store in the last month, 27% while in the online check-out funnel
• 23% are likely to impulse buy after reading a newspaper, 22% after seeing something on Facebook
• 71% say they prefer online shopping because of research capabilities
• 64% say they prefer in-store shopping because of return policies or so they'll know 'exactly what the product is' (53%)
Meanwhile, people are doing more than shopping - even when researching products online. Of those surveyed, 63% say they shop while watching television, 28% shop while socializing with friends and 24% while online in a café or restaurant.
The study was conducted by Dimensional Research.
- Unique products, better prices motivates cross-border ecommerce
- Gen Z keen to engage with mobile video
- Expert: How to determine if a subscription service is good business
- Ad Roundup: Targeting key for video, digital products
- Top 3 tips to create speech analytics strategy
- Snapchat rumored to be rolling out behavioral targeting for advertisers
- Working 9-5 becoming a thing of the past?
- Accordant Media: 151% increase in global programmatic auction volume
Featured White Papers
- 10 Ways to Improve Your Content Marketing Today
Great content shows that you understand the customer and their problems and that you want and are able to help...
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...
- Key Tools for Engagement Marketing
Dig into the concept of digital marketing and how to be successful in today's modern, complex business landscape...