News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Merchants need to offer more online
Over the past week, retailers have seen how consumers are shopping online and mobile differently than in the past. This will bring more merchants into the e-space, but new data out from The Acquity Group suggests just opening an online store isn't enough.
According to new data out from The Acquity Group online stores need to offer more than just jeans, sweaters and electronics gear. Their data suggests that, in addition to trendy items, online retailers need to offer content - video, inventory status, customer service chats, etc. In addition to PC-based offerings like these, mobile strategy should include points like click-to-call, finds the report.
The study finds:
• 44% of retailers currently offer click-to-call on mobile sites
• 76% offer product zoom for PC browsers but only 39% offer on mobile screens
• 98% offer email opt-ins for PC browsers, 34% offer the same via mobile browser
"Now that brands recognize the importance of the mobile channel, their focus must shift to adopting forward-looking mobility strategies to augment their in-store and big browser sales channels," said Jay Dettling, Executive Vice President of Acquity Group. "Mobile is no longer a separate channel for eCommerce. Through this research, we uncovered many areas where brands lack progressive initiatives that contribute to a truly Omnichannel experience."
Meanwhile, data from Avaya finds that consumers are already changing how they interact with businesses depending on their location. In the past, a shopper would go to a service desk in-store or call an 800 number. Today's shoppers are going to mobile more often, contacting businesses from work or during the commute - and they expect immediate responses.
More than 40% of surveyed respondents told Avaya they preferred to deal with businesses online while 16% prefer to use social media. More than half (56%) say they feel a stronger connection with brands they connect with in the social space.
As for the importance of mobile now, data from The Search Agency shows clicks from tablets and smartphones increased to nearly 30% over Black Friday and to 20% (up from 8%, 2011) on Cyber Monday.
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...