News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
SocialVibe: Too many social media updates turn off consumers
Consumers on social media are sensitive to update overload from brands they have connected with, according to a survey sponsored by SocialVibe, which points to a need for brands to get the engagement balance right.
Brands on social media such as Facebook or Twitter have a thin line to tread. Too many, or too few, updates can have an adverse effect. A third of Internet users in the U.S. have cut social media ties with a brand because they were receiving too many updates, according to the survey sponsored by engagement ad firm SocialVibe.
Those surveyed by SocialVibe said they checked their social media updates regularly for brand updates and that excessive updates was by far the most common reason for de-friending a brand - above concerns about brand values or social content.
The benefits of forming social connections with consumers are wide-ranging. SocialVibe's survey also revealed that 70% of social media users have made a purchase as a result of being connected with a brand on the likes of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google+ and even Pinterest. In fact, 61% said that the brands they first consider when shopping are those they are connected to on social media.
"Brands need to be mindful that connections can be both powerful and disruptive to the social experience," said Tiffany Leslie, director of marketing communications for SocialVibe. "They need to carefully determine the balance between driving loyalty and overwhelming their advocates."
- Top 3 annoyances for mobile shoppers
- Study: Black Millennials betting on themselves
- Top 3 tips to take Valentine's strategies year-round
- No age limit to looking for love online
- Goodbye second-screening, hello switch-screening
- Less than one-third of emails opened on desktop last year
- Ad Roundup: Platforms for sales, ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to get more from email on Valentine's campaigns
Featured White Papers
- Device of Choice for Online Shoppers & Buyers
Did you know that men shop and buy from mobile devices more than women? Being aware of nuances like this...
- 5 'Must Have' Tactics For Your 2016 Digital Marketing Plan
What are the 5 "must have" tactics that experts agree can help everyone's 2016 digital marketing?...
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....