News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
SocialVibe: Too many social media updates turn off consumers
Consumers on social media are sensitive to update overload from brands they have connected with, according to a survey sponsored by SocialVibe, which points to a need for brands to get the engagement balance right.
Brands on social media such as Facebook or Twitter have a thin line to tread. Too many, or too few, updates can have an adverse effect. A third of Internet users in the U.S. have cut social media ties with a brand because they were receiving too many updates, according to the survey sponsored by engagement ad firm SocialVibe.
Those surveyed by SocialVibe said they checked their social media updates regularly for brand updates and that excessive updates was by far the most common reason for de-friending a brand - above concerns about brand values or social content.
The benefits of forming social connections with consumers are wide-ranging. SocialVibe's survey also revealed that 70% of social media users have made a purchase as a result of being connected with a brand on the likes of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google+ and even Pinterest. In fact, 61% said that the brands they first consider when shopping are those they are connected to on social media.
"Brands need to be mindful that connections can be both powerful and disruptive to the social experience," said Tiffany Leslie, director of marketing communications for SocialVibe. "They need to carefully determine the balance between driving loyalty and overwhelming their advocates."
- Report: Desktops still lead online spending
- Video ad campaigns with subtitles outperform in brand awareness
- Two-thirds of ad execs Google prospective employees
- 61% of brand content on Snapchat is video
- Survey: Trust influences more consumers to share information
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- New service alerts marketers when competitors air new TV ads
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...