News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
SocialVibe: Too many social media updates turn off consumers
Consumers on social media are sensitive to update overload from brands they have connected with, according to a survey sponsored by SocialVibe, which points to a need for brands to get the engagement balance right.
Brands on social media such as Facebook or Twitter have a thin line to tread. Too many, or too few, updates can have an adverse effect. A third of Internet users in the U.S. have cut social media ties with a brand because they were receiving too many updates, according to the survey sponsored by engagement ad firm SocialVibe.
Those surveyed by SocialVibe said they checked their social media updates regularly for brand updates and that excessive updates was by far the most common reason for de-friending a brand - above concerns about brand values or social content.
The benefits of forming social connections with consumers are wide-ranging. SocialVibe's survey also revealed that 70% of social media users have made a purchase as a result of being connected with a brand on the likes of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google+ and even Pinterest. In fact, 61% said that the brands they first consider when shopping are those they are connected to on social media.
"Brands need to be mindful that connections can be both powerful and disruptive to the social experience," said Tiffany Leslie, director of marketing communications for SocialVibe. "They need to carefully determine the balance between driving loyalty and overwhelming their advocates."
- Ecomm Roundup: Faster checkouts and better personalization
- Top 3 tips to use data better this holiday season
- Microbusinesses dipping into personal savings
- How dark social can impact brand
- Webrooming parents heading to physical stores for back-to-school purchases
- 43% of all traffic to travel websites now comes from mobile
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...