News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
SMBs: What you need to know for the New Year
The end of the 2012 tax year is right around the corner. For SMBs, that means finishing 1099s and W2 forms as well as preparing for a new year's advertising campaigns. Rocket Lawyer founder Charley Moore offers his advice for a fresh 2013.
First, Moore advises not to forget about incorporation. Some small businesses don't incorporate because they believe it will be a hassle, but incorporation will save hassles down the road.
"When you incorporate your business, you create a new legal entity separate from yourself that conducts business, generates income, and assumes tax and legal liabilities," said Charley Moore, Founder, Rocket Lawyer. "With a filing date of January 1, you'll save time when filing a tax return for that year, because the business doesn't need to file two separate tax returns for the unincorporated entity and one for the new C-Corp, S-Corp, or LLC."
Second, take a look at existing contracts. Rocket Lawyer has found that one in four SMBs have problems with bill collecting; Moore advises small businesses to take a look at existing contracts for payment information and to clarify the work that will be done. Then, rewriting or revising contracts so that these problems will be lessened in the New Year.
Finally, don't forget about the counsel.
"Good legal advice is a competitive advantage and can be the difference between a business's success and failure, so it's really important to have an attorney to keep you on the right path. An attorney can help you strategize, plan for growth, and answer the questions you didn't even know to ask, and in the event of an unfortunate or unforeseen incident, your attorney will be there to help protect you and your business," said Moore.
- How travel brands can do more with data
- Expert: What retailers need to know about EMV
- Study: Utility apps take most of ad spend
- Holidaymakers swindled out of £2.2 million in 2014
- Brits warming to biometric technology for online banking access
- Banks missing out by focusing mobile banking ads on television
- Top 3 tips to add personality to your targeting
- Will 2015 be The Year of Mobile?
Featured White Papers
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...