News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
SMBs: What you need to know for the New Year
The end of the 2012 tax year is right around the corner. For SMBs, that means finishing 1099s and W2 forms as well as preparing for a new year's advertising campaigns. Rocket Lawyer founder Charley Moore offers his advice for a fresh 2013.
First, Moore advises not to forget about incorporation. Some small businesses don't incorporate because they believe it will be a hassle, but incorporation will save hassles down the road.
"When you incorporate your business, you create a new legal entity separate from yourself that conducts business, generates income, and assumes tax and legal liabilities," said Charley Moore, Founder, Rocket Lawyer. "With a filing date of January 1, you'll save time when filing a tax return for that year, because the business doesn't need to file two separate tax returns for the unincorporated entity and one for the new C-Corp, S-Corp, or LLC."
Second, take a look at existing contracts. Rocket Lawyer has found that one in four SMBs have problems with bill collecting; Moore advises small businesses to take a look at existing contracts for payment information and to clarify the work that will be done. Then, rewriting or revising contracts so that these problems will be lessened in the New Year.
Finally, don't forget about the counsel.
"Good legal advice is a competitive advantage and can be the difference between a business's success and failure, so it's really important to have an attorney to keep you on the right path. An attorney can help you strategize, plan for growth, and answer the questions you didn't even know to ask, and in the event of an unfortunate or unforeseen incident, your attorney will be there to help protect you and your business," said Moore.
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...