News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: More shoppers to buy this week
The 2012 holiday season will begin wrapping up this week - the last full week before the Christmas holiday. On average shoppers are expected to spend $900 before Christmas Day and another $200 after the holiday, according to iProspect. And, if not shopping online, they'll at least be researching products online.
According to iProspect those shopping in-store will check store fliers (60%) or in-store displays (51%) and catalogs (49%). For those shopping online, 88% will research online with 33% spending between 3 and 6 hours researching products. One-third of smartphone owners will use their mobile device for product research while 44% of tablet owners will.
Meanwhile, data from comScore, online retail sales have surpassed $29 billion so far this holiday season, 13% over 2011 numbers. Three days - Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Green Monday - have each passed over the $1 billion sales mark.
And, if data out from SOASTA runs true, a few more days could push the $1 billion mark. More than half (54%) of those surveyed say they'll shop between now and Christmas Day for holiday gifts. Just over one-third shopped pre-Thanksgiving while one-quarter shopped Black Friday and Cyber Monday (24% and 23% respectively).
Why are they shopping later? Most (83%) said they were concerned about the national economy while 30% said the Fiscal Cliff will cause them to buy less this year.
Back to comScore for a moment, their data shows much of the online purchasing has been for digital subscriptions or data but that consumer electronics are also high on cyber-buying-lists this year. The SOASTA survey found that one-third of those buying electronics online say retail sites are performing better in 2012 than they did in 2011; 59% of cyber smartphone buyers said the same.
- B2B firms struggling with content marketing
- Brands piggy-backing on major events not guaranteed success
- Expert: Why SMBs are pushing farther into digital
- Top 3 challenges facing retailers and how to solve them
- How to get past personas and into consumers' interests
- European Commission forces Google, Apple to make users aware of 'true cost' of an app
- Top 3 tips to improve seasonal marketing plans
- Research: Social media users less likely to post positively about their favorite products
Featured White Papers
- Everything You Need to Know About Social Media for Your Business
While social media practitioners must continue to expect and adapt to change, it is important to take note of the...