News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: More shoppers to buy this week
The 2012 holiday season will begin wrapping up this week - the last full week before the Christmas holiday. On average shoppers are expected to spend $900 before Christmas Day and another $200 after the holiday, according to iProspect. And, if not shopping online, they'll at least be researching products online.
According to iProspect those shopping in-store will check store fliers (60%) or in-store displays (51%) and catalogs (49%). For those shopping online, 88% will research online with 33% spending between 3 and 6 hours researching products. One-third of smartphone owners will use their mobile device for product research while 44% of tablet owners will.
Meanwhile, data from comScore, online retail sales have surpassed $29 billion so far this holiday season, 13% over 2011 numbers. Three days - Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Green Monday - have each passed over the $1 billion sales mark.
And, if data out from SOASTA runs true, a few more days could push the $1 billion mark. More than half (54%) of those surveyed say they'll shop between now and Christmas Day for holiday gifts. Just over one-third shopped pre-Thanksgiving while one-quarter shopped Black Friday and Cyber Monday (24% and 23% respectively).
Why are they shopping later? Most (83%) said they were concerned about the national economy while 30% said the Fiscal Cliff will cause them to buy less this year.
Back to comScore for a moment, their data shows much of the online purchasing has been for digital subscriptions or data but that consumer electronics are also high on cyber-buying-lists this year. The SOASTA survey found that one-third of those buying electronics online say retail sites are performing better in 2012 than they did in 2011; 59% of cyber smartphone buyers said the same.
- UK businesses failing to consistently and effectively employ social for customer support
- How to tell if interactions are successful or not
- Report: In case of emergency, try cell
- Retailers failing to maximize use of social shopping websites
- Home pages of retail websites failing to load fast enough
- U.K. ecommerce websites improve delivery options to tap overseas customers
- Forecast: More to invest in multi-screen ads
- Forrester: Mobile social users more engaged, share more
Featured White Papers
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...