News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: More shoppers to buy this week
The 2012 holiday season will begin wrapping up this week - the last full week before the Christmas holiday. On average shoppers are expected to spend $900 before Christmas Day and another $200 after the holiday, according to iProspect. And, if not shopping online, they'll at least be researching products online.
According to iProspect those shopping in-store will check store fliers (60%) or in-store displays (51%) and catalogs (49%). For those shopping online, 88% will research online with 33% spending between 3 and 6 hours researching products. One-third of smartphone owners will use their mobile device for product research while 44% of tablet owners will.
Meanwhile, data from comScore, online retail sales have surpassed $29 billion so far this holiday season, 13% over 2011 numbers. Three days - Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Green Monday - have each passed over the $1 billion sales mark.
And, if data out from SOASTA runs true, a few more days could push the $1 billion mark. More than half (54%) of those surveyed say they'll shop between now and Christmas Day for holiday gifts. Just over one-third shopped pre-Thanksgiving while one-quarter shopped Black Friday and Cyber Monday (24% and 23% respectively).
Why are they shopping later? Most (83%) said they were concerned about the national economy while 30% said the Fiscal Cliff will cause them to buy less this year.
Back to comScore for a moment, their data shows much of the online purchasing has been for digital subscriptions or data but that consumer electronics are also high on cyber-buying-lists this year. The SOASTA survey found that one-third of those buying electronics online say retail sites are performing better in 2012 than they did in 2011; 59% of cyber smartphone buyers said the same.
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...