News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: More shoppers to buy this week
The 2012 holiday season will begin wrapping up this week - the last full week before the Christmas holiday. On average shoppers are expected to spend $900 before Christmas Day and another $200 after the holiday, according to iProspect. And, if not shopping online, they'll at least be researching products online.
According to iProspect those shopping in-store will check store fliers (60%) or in-store displays (51%) and catalogs (49%). For those shopping online, 88% will research online with 33% spending between 3 and 6 hours researching products. One-third of smartphone owners will use their mobile device for product research while 44% of tablet owners will.
Meanwhile, data from comScore, online retail sales have surpassed $29 billion so far this holiday season, 13% over 2011 numbers. Three days - Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Green Monday - have each passed over the $1 billion sales mark.
And, if data out from SOASTA runs true, a few more days could push the $1 billion mark. More than half (54%) of those surveyed say they'll shop between now and Christmas Day for holiday gifts. Just over one-third shopped pre-Thanksgiving while one-quarter shopped Black Friday and Cyber Monday (24% and 23% respectively).
Why are they shopping later? Most (83%) said they were concerned about the national economy while 30% said the Fiscal Cliff will cause them to buy less this year.
Back to comScore for a moment, their data shows much of the online purchasing has been for digital subscriptions or data but that consumer electronics are also high on cyber-buying-lists this year. The SOASTA survey found that one-third of those buying electronics online say retail sites are performing better in 2012 than they did in 2011; 59% of cyber smartphone buyers said the same.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...