News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: More shoppers to buy this week
The 2012 holiday season will begin wrapping up this week - the last full week before the Christmas holiday. On average shoppers are expected to spend $900 before Christmas Day and another $200 after the holiday, according to iProspect. And, if not shopping online, they'll at least be researching products online.
According to iProspect those shopping in-store will check store fliers (60%) or in-store displays (51%) and catalogs (49%). For those shopping online, 88% will research online with 33% spending between 3 and 6 hours researching products. One-third of smartphone owners will use their mobile device for product research while 44% of tablet owners will.
Meanwhile, data from comScore, online retail sales have surpassed $29 billion so far this holiday season, 13% over 2011 numbers. Three days - Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Green Monday - have each passed over the $1 billion sales mark.
And, if data out from SOASTA runs true, a few more days could push the $1 billion mark. More than half (54%) of those surveyed say they'll shop between now and Christmas Day for holiday gifts. Just over one-third shopped pre-Thanksgiving while one-quarter shopped Black Friday and Cyber Monday (24% and 23% respectively).
Why are they shopping later? Most (83%) said they were concerned about the national economy while 30% said the Fiscal Cliff will cause them to buy less this year.
Back to comScore for a moment, their data shows much of the online purchasing has been for digital subscriptions or data but that consumer electronics are also high on cyber-buying-lists this year. The SOASTA survey found that one-third of those buying electronics online say retail sites are performing better in 2012 than they did in 2011; 59% of cyber smartphone buyers said the same.
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
- Study IDs disconnect between brands, consumers
- Consumers trust doctors and government with personal data more than they do advertisers
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...