News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Nielsen: Significant social media growth driven by mobile
Back in July, 2011, Americans spent around 88 billion minutes each month on social networks. That's nothing compared to how much time was spent on social networks a year on, as a recent report from Nielsen reveals.
In July, 2012, Americans spent a whopping 121 billion minutes on social networks, a 37% increase on July, 2011, according to Nielsen's latest social media report. That's a lot of time posting statuses, pinning images and tweeting.
While more and more social networks come online, the main force driving the increase in their use is mobile, says Nielsen. Social app use increased by 76% year-on-year and now accounts for almost a third (30%) of time spent using mobile, compared to 20% of time spent on desktop.
Unsurprisingly, Facebook continues to be the most-visited social network in the U.S. and the country's top web brand in terms of time spent accounting for 17% of time spent online via desktop.
However, Pinterest's rise in popularity in 2012 is illustrated by it having the largest year-on-year increase in both time spent and unique audience of any social network across desktop, mobile web and apps.
In terms of gender, women are spending significantly more time on social media than men - 8 hours 37 minutes on desktop and 9 hours 43 minutes on mobile, compared with 6 hours 13 minutes and 6 hours 44 minutes for men.
Overall, Americans spent an incredible 520.1 billion minutes accessing the Internet in July, 2012, up from 430.4 billion the year before.
- Travel Forecast: European Vacations Coming
- Top 3 tips to better engage Hispanic consumers
- YouTube announced 80% YoY mobile growth
- 40% of public relations workers use, but do not engage with, social media
- Consumers find card-linked marketing helpful for special occasions
- More than 40% of UK online transactions made via mobile
- Expert: How to engage Hispanic shoppers
- How forms can speed customer service
Featured White Papers
- Gain Real-time email competitive intelligence with this video
Watch this short webinar today and see for yourself how you can gain access to email competitive data, real-time inbox...
- Digital Marketing: Are You Ready to Go Agile? (Best Practices)
Digital marketing isn't just about the channel, it's the mechanism by which people are creating and sharing experiences; engaging not...
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...