News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Nielsen: Significant social media growth driven by mobile
Back in July, 2011, Americans spent around 88 billion minutes each month on social networks. That's nothing compared to how much time was spent on social networks a year on, as a recent report from Nielsen reveals.
In July, 2012, Americans spent a whopping 121 billion minutes on social networks, a 37% increase on July, 2011, according to Nielsen's latest social media report. That's a lot of time posting statuses, pinning images and tweeting.
While more and more social networks come online, the main force driving the increase in their use is mobile, says Nielsen. Social app use increased by 76% year-on-year and now accounts for almost a third (30%) of time spent using mobile, compared to 20% of time spent on desktop.
Unsurprisingly, Facebook continues to be the most-visited social network in the U.S. and the country's top web brand in terms of time spent accounting for 17% of time spent online via desktop.
However, Pinterest's rise in popularity in 2012 is illustrated by it having the largest year-on-year increase in both time spent and unique audience of any social network across desktop, mobile web and apps.
In terms of gender, women are spending significantly more time on social media than men - 8 hours 37 minutes on desktop and 9 hours 43 minutes on mobile, compared with 6 hours 13 minutes and 6 hours 44 minutes for men.
Overall, Americans spent an incredible 520.1 billion minutes accessing the Internet in July, 2012, up from 430.4 billion the year before.
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
- Twitter launches lead generation tool
- uTest's Apphance shows 10 times more sessions
- New social network to connection non-corp types
- Elance: Remote hiring sees 60% jump
- Engajer integrates to LinkedIn
- JiWire: Mobile engaging travel consumers
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...