News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Nielsen: Significant social media growth driven by mobile
Back in July, 2011, Americans spent around 88 billion minutes each month on social networks. That's nothing compared to how much time was spent on social networks a year on, as a recent report from Nielsen reveals.
In July, 2012, Americans spent a whopping 121 billion minutes on social networks, a 37% increase on July, 2011, according to Nielsen's latest social media report. That's a lot of time posting statuses, pinning images and tweeting.
While more and more social networks come online, the main force driving the increase in their use is mobile, says Nielsen. Social app use increased by 76% year-on-year and now accounts for almost a third (30%) of time spent using mobile, compared to 20% of time spent on desktop.
Unsurprisingly, Facebook continues to be the most-visited social network in the U.S. and the country's top web brand in terms of time spent accounting for 17% of time spent online via desktop.
However, Pinterest's rise in popularity in 2012 is illustrated by it having the largest year-on-year increase in both time spent and unique audience of any social network across desktop, mobile web and apps.
In terms of gender, women are spending significantly more time on social media than men - 8 hours 37 minutes on desktop and 9 hours 43 minutes on mobile, compared with 6 hours 13 minutes and 6 hours 44 minutes for men.
Overall, Americans spent an incredible 520.1 billion minutes accessing the Internet in July, 2012, up from 430.4 billion the year before.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...