News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
New mobile ad format slims down chance of 'fat finger' clicks
'Fat fingers' have long been a mobile problem, and those accidental clicks on ads can be annoying for users and costly for advertisers. Google has a new ad project on the go that should keep everyone happy.
Up to 40% of ads clicked on mobile devices are done so in error due to 'fat finger' problems or hard-to-avoid ad placements. Not only is this frustrating for mobile users, but advertisers are charged for these erroneous clicks from which they stand to gain no engagement.
To keep both users and advertisers happy with mobile ads, an increasingly important revenue stream for Google, the company has announced they are doing something about it with the introduction of 'confirmed clicks'.
Having discovered that the majority of accidental clicks on in-app image ads happen on the outer edges of the ad unit, Google will now prompt users that click in that area to verify their action was intentional. Google's initial testing confirmed a notable improvement in conversion rates using the 'confirmed click' solution, and a slight decrease in click-through rates as users confirmed their click was in error.
"As devices continue to converge there will be new challenges in the fight against what many have called the 'fat finger' problem. But implementing confirmed clicks is an important step that we think will benefit users, advertisers, publishers, and the mobile ecosystem overall, and we'll continue to look for ways to improve mobile ads for everyone," writes Allen Huang, Product Manager, Mobile Display Ads, on the Google blog.
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
- Ad Roundup: Analysis basis for releases, expansions
- Half of UK charities have no digital strategy
- Trends to watch for video in 2017
- 78% of over-55s uncomfortable with concept of stores run by robots
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...