News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
New mobile ad format slims down chance of 'fat finger' clicks
'Fat fingers' have long been a mobile problem, and those accidental clicks on ads can be annoying for users and costly for advertisers. Google has a new ad project on the go that should keep everyone happy.
Up to 40% of ads clicked on mobile devices are done so in error due to 'fat finger' problems or hard-to-avoid ad placements. Not only is this frustrating for mobile users, but advertisers are charged for these erroneous clicks from which they stand to gain no engagement.
To keep both users and advertisers happy with mobile ads, an increasingly important revenue stream for Google, the company has announced they are doing something about it with the introduction of 'confirmed clicks'.
Having discovered that the majority of accidental clicks on in-app image ads happen on the outer edges of the ad unit, Google will now prompt users that click in that area to verify their action was intentional. Google's initial testing confirmed a notable improvement in conversion rates using the 'confirmed click' solution, and a slight decrease in click-through rates as users confirmed their click was in error.
"As devices continue to converge there will be new challenges in the fight against what many have called the 'fat finger' problem. But implementing confirmed clicks is an important step that we think will benefit users, advertisers, publishers, and the mobile ecosystem overall, and we'll continue to look for ways to improve mobile ads for everyone," writes Allen Huang, Product Manager, Mobile Display Ads, on the Google blog.
- Survey: Online, offline shopping experiences 'merging'
- Message Systems flips email to up engagement
- Marketers beware - research your target market or risk stereotyping
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
- Survey: Consumers want to share product details with friends
- PageFair: Adblocking Goes Mainstream
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...