News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Is your website's captcha putting off mobile users?
Captchas have proved to be a popular security feature online, but when consumers are forced to use them on a mobile device they can be fiddly and frustrating to use, and can result in site abandonment.
Around two-thirds of shoppers will give up and shop elsewhere when presented with frustrating processes and roadblocks to purchases.
One of those frustrations, identified in research by Virtual Hold Technology, was completing captchas. A captcha, or 'Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart', is a challenge used on websites to verify that engagement with a website is being performed by a human and not generated by a computer. They are used to block bots and prevent all types of spam, scrapers and other malicious attacks.
They can be frustrating and fiddly to complete on a desktop computer, so imagine how hard they are to get past on a mobile device. The mobile device's autocorrect kicks in and attempts to correct the weird number/letter combinations which, in turn, leads to rejection and requests to try again, or they can be hard to decipher in the first place.
Others formats include gamifying the captcha experience such as PlayThru's solution, image-based puzzles such as visualCaptcha or task-oriented challenges that are impossible for virtual intelligence to carry out, such as sliders (Distcha) or MotionCaptcha.
- Videos best for Facebook reach, but don't ditch the photos
- Mother's Day: Flowers a popular gift, but Mom wants tech
- UK: Online spending and deliveries break records
- Study: Nearly one-third say they 'don't do enough' to internationalize their business
- Millennials say the right content drives brand loyalty
- Consumers not impressed by engagement of branded apps
- Online shoppers excited about possibility of drone deliveries
- Colors affect sharing behavior on Pinterest
Featured White Papers
- Measure What Matters: Five Features to Enable Now On Google Analytics
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for gaining insights into user behavior and gathering data for site optimization. Unfortunately, in...
- A lot of what you know about email marketing could be wrong
There is a lot of email-marketing advice floating around out there. And, frankly, a lot of it is bad. Hunches...