News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
India: Online booking of air, rail tickets rises significantly
New figures released by the Internet & Mobile Association of India reveals significant growth in online booking for air and travel tickets over the last year, and Google India launches the country's first ever Black Friday equivalent.
The Internet & Mobile Association of India's (IAMAI) latest Internet Economy Watch Report for the month of October, 2012, reveals a 31% increase in online booking of airline tickets compared with the same month in 2011. In October, 2011, 1.21 million airline tickets were booked online rising to 1.58 in October of this year.
The online booking of rail travel, via the Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation website, grew 15% to 4.72 million bookings in the year to October, 2012.
The report also analyzed visits to websites in major e-tailing categories. The jobs category witnessed the largest growth - 30% in the year to October, 2012 - followed by books (26%) and matrimonial sites (21%).
However, the high price of gold has resulted in fewer visits to jewellery websites. Traffic dropped 20% in the year to October, 2012, from 2.45 to 1.95.
Today, the 12/12/12, sees the launch of Google India's initiative to bring the shopping frenzy of Black Friday and Cyber Monday to India. Called "The Great Online Shopping Festival", Google has brought together popular ecommerce businesses from across India and promises the usual massive deals and discounts.
Online shopping is growing among India's 137 million Internet users and the festival aims to attract new shoppers and demonstrate to existing users the deals that can be found online.
"The online shopping industry is already over $1.5 billion and with this initiative we want to reach out and promote online shopping to first-time buyers," said Rajan Anandan, Managing Director and Vice-President Sales and Operations, Google India.
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
- YouGov: Mobile commerce confidence grows among consumers
- Study finds the moments ads will most likely garner attention
- Report: SMB owners optimistic about 2014 holidays
Featured White Papers
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...