News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
India: Online booking of air, rail tickets rises significantly
New figures released by the Internet & Mobile Association of India reveals significant growth in online booking for air and travel tickets over the last year, and Google India launches the country's first ever Black Friday equivalent.
The Internet & Mobile Association of India's (IAMAI) latest Internet Economy Watch Report for the month of October, 2012, reveals a 31% increase in online booking of airline tickets compared with the same month in 2011. In October, 2011, 1.21 million airline tickets were booked online rising to 1.58 in October of this year.
The online booking of rail travel, via the Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation website, grew 15% to 4.72 million bookings in the year to October, 2012.
The report also analyzed visits to websites in major e-tailing categories. The jobs category witnessed the largest growth - 30% in the year to October, 2012 - followed by books (26%) and matrimonial sites (21%).
However, the high price of gold has resulted in fewer visits to jewellery websites. Traffic dropped 20% in the year to October, 2012, from 2.45 to 1.95.
Today, the 12/12/12, sees the launch of Google India's initiative to bring the shopping frenzy of Black Friday and Cyber Monday to India. Called "The Great Online Shopping Festival", Google has brought together popular ecommerce businesses from across India and promises the usual massive deals and discounts.
Online shopping is growing among India's 137 million Internet users and the festival aims to attract new shoppers and demonstrate to existing users the deals that can be found online.
"The online shopping industry is already over $1.5 billion and with this initiative we want to reach out and promote online shopping to first-time buyers," said Rajan Anandan, Managing Director and Vice-President Sales and Operations, Google India.
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
- How to measure engagement to reach a deeper customer relationship
- Survey: Amazon influencing back to school shoppers
- Hilton gives guests greater control with significant app upgrade
- Top 3 tips for better channel optimization
- Study: Sales, marketing disconnect resulting in bad customer experience
- UK businesses failing to consistently and effectively employ social for customer support
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...