News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
India: Online booking of air, rail tickets rises significantly
New figures released by the Internet & Mobile Association of India reveals significant growth in online booking for air and travel tickets over the last year, and Google India launches the country's first ever Black Friday equivalent.
The Internet & Mobile Association of India's (IAMAI) latest Internet Economy Watch Report for the month of October, 2012, reveals a 31% increase in online booking of airline tickets compared with the same month in 2011. In October, 2011, 1.21 million airline tickets were booked online rising to 1.58 in October of this year.
The online booking of rail travel, via the Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation website, grew 15% to 4.72 million bookings in the year to October, 2012.
The report also analyzed visits to websites in major e-tailing categories. The jobs category witnessed the largest growth - 30% in the year to October, 2012 - followed by books (26%) and matrimonial sites (21%).
However, the high price of gold has resulted in fewer visits to jewellery websites. Traffic dropped 20% in the year to October, 2012, from 2.45 to 1.95.
Today, the 12/12/12, sees the launch of Google India's initiative to bring the shopping frenzy of Black Friday and Cyber Monday to India. Called "The Great Online Shopping Festival", Google has brought together popular ecommerce businesses from across India and promises the usual massive deals and discounts.
Online shopping is growing among India's 137 million Internet users and the festival aims to attract new shoppers and demonstrate to existing users the deals that can be found online.
"The online shopping industry is already over $1.5 billion and with this initiative we want to reach out and promote online shopping to first-time buyers," said Rajan Anandan, Managing Director and Vice-President Sales and Operations, Google India.
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...