News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
India: Online booking of air, rail tickets rises significantly
New figures released by the Internet & Mobile Association of India reveals significant growth in online booking for air and travel tickets over the last year, and Google India launches the country's first ever Black Friday equivalent.
The Internet & Mobile Association of India's (IAMAI) latest Internet Economy Watch Report for the month of October, 2012, reveals a 31% increase in online booking of airline tickets compared with the same month in 2011. In October, 2011, 1.21 million airline tickets were booked online rising to 1.58 in October of this year.
The online booking of rail travel, via the Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation website, grew 15% to 4.72 million bookings in the year to October, 2012.
The report also analyzed visits to websites in major e-tailing categories. The jobs category witnessed the largest growth - 30% in the year to October, 2012 - followed by books (26%) and matrimonial sites (21%).
However, the high price of gold has resulted in fewer visits to jewellery websites. Traffic dropped 20% in the year to October, 2012, from 2.45 to 1.95.
Today, the 12/12/12, sees the launch of Google India's initiative to bring the shopping frenzy of Black Friday and Cyber Monday to India. Called "The Great Online Shopping Festival", Google has brought together popular ecommerce businesses from across India and promises the usual massive deals and discounts.
Online shopping is growing among India's 137 million Internet users and the festival aims to attract new shoppers and demonstrate to existing users the deals that can be found online.
"The online shopping industry is already over $1.5 billion and with this initiative we want to reach out and promote online shopping to first-time buyers," said Rajan Anandan, Managing Director and Vice-President Sales and Operations, Google India.
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
- Study IDs disconnect between brands, consumers
- Consumers trust doctors and government with personal data more than they do advertisers
- Shoppers don't care for social integration of mobile apps
- 44% of Twitter's 982 million accounts never used
- Report: Travel sites missing the data mark
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...