News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Improve customer engagement with triggered emails
Triggered emails make up a very small proportion of all emails sent by businesses, yet they drive higher open and click-through rates than business-as-usual email campaigns.
Emails triggered in real-time by a consumer action, such as website registration, checkout abandonment or date-related triggers such as birthdays or renewals, are increasingly being used by businesses.
Epsilon's recent "Q3 2012 North America Email Trends and Benchmarks" report reveals that the use of triggered emails rose 19.1% in Q3 2012 compared with the same period in 2011. [Update: Epsilon has since emailed me to advise that an error had been made in the initial findings and that the actual rise in use in Q3 2012 is 10.3% - 12/12/12]
Perhaps businesses are finally realising just how engaging triggered emails are. Triggered messages accounted for 2.6% of total volume in Q3 2012, 10.3% higher than Q3 2011 (2.3%).
According to Epsilon, this type of email communication drives 75.1% higher open rates and a significant 114.8% higher click-through rate than more common business-as-usual strategies.
As well as the uptick in engagement, triggered email systems send information to a customer at a time when they are most likely to act on it. Furthermore, an automatic triggered email system needs little maintenance but yields impressive results.
"It's no surprise that triggered messaging improves customer engagement, builds loyalty and drives sales," said Judy Loschen, Vice President of Digital Analytics at Epsilon. "The challenge is the integration of triggered message systems, as with other real time systems, can be an overwhelming and often lengthy process that requires significant investment to yield the pay-off. Over the past year we've seen many marketers investing in the implementation of triggered message systems because the return on investment is significant and the results are immediate."
- Twitter's top tips for reality TV hashtags
- Less than 1 in 10 hotel reservations made via mobile in 2014
- Millennials want convenient, functional and relevant mobile app experience
- Travel Forecast: European Vacations Coming
- Top 3 tips to better engage Hispanic consumers
- YouTube announced 80% YoY mobile growth
- 40% of public relations workers use, but do not engage with, social media
- Consumers find card-linked marketing helpful for special occasions
Featured White Papers
- Gain Real-time email competitive intelligence with this video
Watch this short webinar today and see for yourself how you can gain access to email competitive data, real-time inbox...
- Digital Marketing: Are You Ready to Go Agile? (Best Practices)
Digital marketing isn't just about the channel, it's the mechanism by which people are creating and sharing experiences; engaging not...
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...