News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Holiday spend up 14% YoY
For the first 32 days of the 2012 holiday shopping season, buyers have spent $21 billion online - that is a 14% increase over the same period in 2011. During Cyber Week three days surpassed the $1 billion mark.
Much of the spend, comScore researchers believe, is due to both an increase in the number of people shopping online and the per-shopper spend for each session. More than 128 million US adults have made a purchase online, with the average buy hitting $165.90.
"While Cyber Monday was a high point for holiday e-commerce spending and Cyber Week saw several strong spending days, there was a clear softening in the growth rate during the back half of the week," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "It is likely that, to some extent, holiday spending was pulled forward to the Thanksgiving-Black Friday period given the heightened promotional activity around that time. And some of the softening is a natural post-Cyber Monday lull that we often experience, an effect that may be somewhat more pronounced this year given the additional shopping days between Thanksgiving and Christmas. However, as the urgency to finish one's holiday shopping increases we expect to see growth rates pick up again in the next couple of weeks before Christmas."
Meanwhile, it isn't just Americans who are looking online for shopping relief - Swedish merchants are seeing an uptick in online shoppers. While many Swedes have shown reluctance to embrace holiday online shopping, a new report from Poston 60% of Swedish retailers saw ecommerce increases during Q3.
About 90% of Swedish consumers are online, but nearly one-third say they've never made an ecommerce purchase.
- Forecast: App economy to surpass $100b by 2020
- Report: Retail, tech lead for mobile video
- Report: Pressure is on for security pros
- High viewability goals damaging ad campaign performance
- Retail: In-app purchases increasing as a percentage of digital sales
- Two countries, two different spending trends for Valentine's Day
- Ad Roundup: Platforms to improve data, prevent fraud
- Survey: SMBs getting out the vote
Featured White Papers
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....
- The Ultimate Guide to Website Personalization
There is a wealth of methods to put your company's data to work; by far, personalization is one of the...