News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google Gmail search trial adds to benefits of sending confirmation emails
Sending confirmation emails to customers reinforces a brand and can lead to repeat purchase, among other things, but there's soon to be a new benefit to sending out confirmation emails, particularly to those customers who use a Gmail account.
Earlier this year, Google began "field trials" limited to @gmail.com users in the U.S. The feature being tested is one that will show results from a user's Gmail when a search is conducted in Google. Initially the search was limited to just flight information, but Google has recently announced this has been expanded.
"In addition to searching for [my flights], you can now search for [my purchases] to see a list of recent online purchases from select merchants and track the packages to see if they've arrived yet," says Google. "You can also quickly check your holiday travel plans by searching for [my hotel reservation] or [my restaurant reservations] if you booked through OpenTable, and search for [my events] to easily see information from Ticketmaster or Eventbrite about your upcoming concert, sports game or other event."
Once rolled out, Google's universal search could mean Gmail users see more of confirmation emails they receive from retailers and travel companies. Marketers should ensure those emails work hard to attract repeat business and drive loyalty, as well as having creative longevity that will keep them useful and informative for a long time after a sale or enquiry.
According to Sagar Kamdar, Director of Product Management for Google's 'Universal Search', the new feature will double the amount of data Google is searching, stating that the total Gmail data is approximately the same size as the existing search corpus.
This trial is currently only accessible on https://www.google.com in the U.S. in English for @gmail.com addresses and is not available on Google Apps accounts.
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
- How to measure engagement to reach a deeper customer relationship
- Survey: Amazon influencing back to school shoppers
- Hilton gives guests greater control with significant app upgrade
- Top 3 tips for better channel optimization
- Study: Sales, marketing disconnect resulting in bad customer experience
- UK businesses failing to consistently and effectively employ social for customer support
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...