News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google Gmail search trial adds to benefits of sending confirmation emails
Sending confirmation emails to customers reinforces a brand and can lead to repeat purchase, among other things, but there's soon to be a new benefit to sending out confirmation emails, particularly to those customers who use a Gmail account.
Earlier this year, Google began "field trials" limited to @gmail.com users in the U.S. The feature being tested is one that will show results from a user's Gmail when a search is conducted in Google. Initially the search was limited to just flight information, but Google has recently announced this has been expanded.
"In addition to searching for [my flights], you can now search for [my purchases] to see a list of recent online purchases from select merchants and track the packages to see if they've arrived yet," says Google. "You can also quickly check your holiday travel plans by searching for [my hotel reservation] or [my restaurant reservations] if you booked through OpenTable, and search for [my events] to easily see information from Ticketmaster or Eventbrite about your upcoming concert, sports game or other event."
Once rolled out, Google's universal search could mean Gmail users see more of confirmation emails they receive from retailers and travel companies. Marketers should ensure those emails work hard to attract repeat business and drive loyalty, as well as having creative longevity that will keep them useful and informative for a long time after a sale or enquiry.
According to Sagar Kamdar, Director of Product Management for Google's 'Universal Search', the new feature will double the amount of data Google is searching, stating that the total Gmail data is approximately the same size as the existing search corpus.
This trial is currently only accessible on https://www.google.com in the U.S. in English for @gmail.com addresses and is not available on Google Apps accounts.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...