News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google Gmail search trial adds to benefits of sending confirmation emails
Sending confirmation emails to customers reinforces a brand and can lead to repeat purchase, among other things, but there's soon to be a new benefit to sending out confirmation emails, particularly to those customers who use a Gmail account.
Earlier this year, Google began "field trials" limited to @gmail.com users in the U.S. The feature being tested is one that will show results from a user's Gmail when a search is conducted in Google. Initially the search was limited to just flight information, but Google has recently announced this has been expanded.
"In addition to searching for [my flights], you can now search for [my purchases] to see a list of recent online purchases from select merchants and track the packages to see if they've arrived yet," says Google. "You can also quickly check your holiday travel plans by searching for [my hotel reservation] or [my restaurant reservations] if you booked through OpenTable, and search for [my events] to easily see information from Ticketmaster or Eventbrite about your upcoming concert, sports game or other event."
Once rolled out, Google's universal search could mean Gmail users see more of confirmation emails they receive from retailers and travel companies. Marketers should ensure those emails work hard to attract repeat business and drive loyalty, as well as having creative longevity that will keep them useful and informative for a long time after a sale or enquiry.
According to Sagar Kamdar, Director of Product Management for Google's 'Universal Search', the new feature will double the amount of data Google is searching, stating that the total Gmail data is approximately the same size as the existing search corpus.
This trial is currently only accessible on https://www.google.com in the U.S. in English for @gmail.com addresses and is not available on Google Apps accounts.
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
- Study IDs disconnect between brands, consumers
- Consumers trust doctors and government with personal data more than they do advertisers
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...