News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google Gmail search trial adds to benefits of sending confirmation emails
Sending confirmation emails to customers reinforces a brand and can lead to repeat purchase, among other things, but there's soon to be a new benefit to sending out confirmation emails, particularly to those customers who use a Gmail account.
Earlier this year, Google began "field trials" limited to @gmail.com users in the U.S. The feature being tested is one that will show results from a user's Gmail when a search is conducted in Google. Initially the search was limited to just flight information, but Google has recently announced this has been expanded.
"In addition to searching for [my flights], you can now search for [my purchases] to see a list of recent online purchases from select merchants and track the packages to see if they've arrived yet," says Google. "You can also quickly check your holiday travel plans by searching for [my hotel reservation] or [my restaurant reservations] if you booked through OpenTable, and search for [my events] to easily see information from Ticketmaster or Eventbrite about your upcoming concert, sports game or other event."
Once rolled out, Google's universal search could mean Gmail users see more of confirmation emails they receive from retailers and travel companies. Marketers should ensure those emails work hard to attract repeat business and drive loyalty, as well as having creative longevity that will keep them useful and informative for a long time after a sale or enquiry.
According to Sagar Kamdar, Director of Product Management for Google's 'Universal Search', the new feature will double the amount of data Google is searching, stating that the total Gmail data is approximately the same size as the existing search corpus.
This trial is currently only accessible on https://www.google.com in the U.S. in English for @gmail.com addresses and is not available on Google Apps accounts.
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
- Report urges brands to go their own way and sell direct
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
- Programmatic spending skyrockets through Nexage Markeplace
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
Featured White Papers
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...