News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google Gmail search trial adds to benefits of sending confirmation emails
Sending confirmation emails to customers reinforces a brand and can lead to repeat purchase, among other things, but there's soon to be a new benefit to sending out confirmation emails, particularly to those customers who use a Gmail account.
Earlier this year, Google began "field trials" limited to @gmail.com users in the U.S. The feature being tested is one that will show results from a user's Gmail when a search is conducted in Google. Initially the search was limited to just flight information, but Google has recently announced this has been expanded.
"In addition to searching for [my flights], you can now search for [my purchases] to see a list of recent online purchases from select merchants and track the packages to see if they've arrived yet," says Google. "You can also quickly check your holiday travel plans by searching for [my hotel reservation] or [my restaurant reservations] if you booked through OpenTable, and search for [my events] to easily see information from Ticketmaster or Eventbrite about your upcoming concert, sports game or other event."
Once rolled out, Google's universal search could mean Gmail users see more of confirmation emails they receive from retailers and travel companies. Marketers should ensure those emails work hard to attract repeat business and drive loyalty, as well as having creative longevity that will keep them useful and informative for a long time after a sale or enquiry.
According to Sagar Kamdar, Director of Product Management for Google's 'Universal Search', the new feature will double the amount of data Google is searching, stating that the total Gmail data is approximately the same size as the existing search corpus.
This trial is currently only accessible on https://www.google.com in the U.S. in English for @gmail.com addresses and is not available on Google Apps accounts.
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
- Five-fold YoY growth in contactless payment use in UK
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...