News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Digitas/Brandwatch eavesdrop social to ascertain holiday gifting trends
Consumers use social to discover what others are recommending, to share their own recommendations with others and even to vent their frustrations. Retailers can use this consumer sentiment to predict market trends, as Digitas and Brandwatch demonstrate with their latest research.
In the first of a new series of research from Digitas and Brandwatch, real-time snapshots of consumer trends and preferences were analyzed to alert retailers to this holiday season's gifting trends.
Conducted during the week ending 26 November, 2012, the analysis shows the most desirable gifts this year are gadgets. Of 24,042 mentions naming products of interest, 34% were gadgets, specifically smartphones and tablets. Figures recently released by The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) forecast 32 million tablets will be sold in the US alone over the Christmas period, up 112% from last year.
In the Digital/Brandwatch research entertainment items such as books, movies and show tickets came second to gadgets (22%) followed by clothing (20%).
While one might expect the majority of gifting and holiday conversations to come from tech lovers and parents, they came second and third respectively to car enthusiasts. Furthermore, of the 9,315 mentions identifying who people were shopping for, the majority (58%) was concerned with shopping for themselves.
Walmart was found to be social users' top in-store destination, mentioned by 24% of the 84,966 naming shopping destinations, followed by Target (21%), Best Buy (14%) and Macy's (12%).
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
- Top 3 tips to strengthen travel-based ad strategy
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...