News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Digitas/Brandwatch eavesdrop social to ascertain holiday gifting trends
Consumers use social to discover what others are recommending, to share their own recommendations with others and even to vent their frustrations. Retailers can use this consumer sentiment to predict market trends, as Digitas and Brandwatch demonstrate with their latest research.
In the first of a new series of research from Digitas and Brandwatch, real-time snapshots of consumer trends and preferences were analyzed to alert retailers to this holiday season's gifting trends.
Conducted during the week ending 26 November, 2012, the analysis shows the most desirable gifts this year are gadgets. Of 24,042 mentions naming products of interest, 34% were gadgets, specifically smartphones and tablets. Figures recently released by The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) forecast 32 million tablets will be sold in the US alone over the Christmas period, up 112% from last year.
In the Digital/Brandwatch research entertainment items such as books, movies and show tickets came second to gadgets (22%) followed by clothing (20%).
While one might expect the majority of gifting and holiday conversations to come from tech lovers and parents, they came second and third respectively to car enthusiasts. Furthermore, of the 9,315 mentions identifying who people were shopping for, the majority (58%) was concerned with shopping for themselves.
Walmart was found to be social users' top in-store destination, mentioned by 24% of the 84,966 naming shopping destinations, followed by Target (21%), Best Buy (14%) and Macy's (12%).
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...