News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Digitas/Brandwatch eavesdrop social to ascertain holiday gifting trends
Consumers use social to discover what others are recommending, to share their own recommendations with others and even to vent their frustrations. Retailers can use this consumer sentiment to predict market trends, as Digitas and Brandwatch demonstrate with their latest research.
In the first of a new series of research from Digitas and Brandwatch, real-time snapshots of consumer trends and preferences were analyzed to alert retailers to this holiday season's gifting trends.
Conducted during the week ending 26 November, 2012, the analysis shows the most desirable gifts this year are gadgets. Of 24,042 mentions naming products of interest, 34% were gadgets, specifically smartphones and tablets. Figures recently released by The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) forecast 32 million tablets will be sold in the US alone over the Christmas period, up 112% from last year.
In the Digital/Brandwatch research entertainment items such as books, movies and show tickets came second to gadgets (22%) followed by clothing (20%).
While one might expect the majority of gifting and holiday conversations to come from tech lovers and parents, they came second and third respectively to car enthusiasts. Furthermore, of the 9,315 mentions identifying who people were shopping for, the majority (58%) was concerned with shopping for themselves.
Walmart was found to be social users' top in-store destination, mentioned by 24% of the 84,966 naming shopping destinations, followed by Target (21%), Best Buy (14%) and Macy's (12%).
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Blueprints for Social Network Success
The Big 6 social networks offer tremendous marketing opportunites--and each one is very different. That's why Spredfast has assembled our...
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock
The way companies use and pay for customer relationship management software has changed significantly over the past decade. Moving from...