News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Digitas/Brandwatch eavesdrop social to ascertain holiday gifting trends
Consumers use social to discover what others are recommending, to share their own recommendations with others and even to vent their frustrations. Retailers can use this consumer sentiment to predict market trends, as Digitas and Brandwatch demonstrate with their latest research.
In the first of a new series of research from Digitas and Brandwatch, real-time snapshots of consumer trends and preferences were analyzed to alert retailers to this holiday season's gifting trends.
Conducted during the week ending 26 November, 2012, the analysis shows the most desirable gifts this year are gadgets. Of 24,042 mentions naming products of interest, 34% were gadgets, specifically smartphones and tablets. Figures recently released by The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) forecast 32 million tablets will be sold in the US alone over the Christmas period, up 112% from last year.
In the Digital/Brandwatch research entertainment items such as books, movies and show tickets came second to gadgets (22%) followed by clothing (20%).
While one might expect the majority of gifting and holiday conversations to come from tech lovers and parents, they came second and third respectively to car enthusiasts. Furthermore, of the 9,315 mentions identifying who people were shopping for, the majority (58%) was concerned with shopping for themselves.
Walmart was found to be social users' top in-store destination, mentioned by 24% of the 84,966 naming shopping destinations, followed by Target (21%), Best Buy (14%) and Macy's (12%).
- Survey: Productivity software helping SMBs communicate
- How to use community Q&A to increase your reach
- How to use organic social posts to reach non-fans
- Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
- Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Young adults more likely to Facebook their dining experience than review it
Featured White Papers
- "Abandon Cart Emails" - Why We Don't Buy
For this paper, sponsored by Magento and Bronto Software, over 1,000 online shoppers were surveyed about their awareness of shopping...
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...