News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: Green Monday sales surge past $1.2b
The 2012 Online Holiday Spend - through Green Monday - is showing healthy, if not skyrocketing growth. Nearly $30 billion has been spent so far online, with three days pushing past the $1 billion mark - including Green Monday.
Black Friday ($1.042 billion), Cyber Monday ($1.465 billion) and Green Monday ($1.275 billion) are the top spending days; the Thanksgiving Weekend also holds a record, coming in at $1.187 billion.
"Green Monday kicked off this critical week for online holiday shopping with a strong total of $1.275 billion, marking a 13-percent gain from last year," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "While Green Monday remains a very important day for the season, as consumers have gained confidence with on-time shipment delivery, there is perhaps less urgency than there once was to make those final purchases at least two weeks in advance of Christmas Day. What we've seen over the past few years is a tendency for heavy spending to continue late into the week of Green Monday and right up until Free Shipping Day, which this year falls on December 17."
The Green Monday online spend was led by more shoppers hitting online outlets and spending more per purchase than in year's past. The per-transaction spend was up 5% while the number of shoppers looking for Green Monday savings increased 7% year over year (YoY).
Meanwhile, the National Retail Federation suggests retailers will be pushing package delivery right up to the last minute, hoping to engage a few more shoppers. Shop.org reports that most retailers will end shipping specials by next Monday (December 17) but a few (5.7%) will push shipping offers through December 21, hoping to appeal to last minute gift-givers.
- Ad RoundUp: Ecommerce deployments key in on data
- Online and mobile shopping experience still failing to meet consumer expectations
- Which products have the highest online browse-to-buy correlation?
- Millennials: Speed and high-quality images the difference between bounce or buy on mobile
- Smartphone shopping up but revenue remains low
- Study dispels myth of what motivates brand advocates
- Survey: Product reviews influence more than half of shoppers
- Consumers turning from coupon clipping to coupon clicking
Featured White Papers
- 7 ways the mobile consumer changes everything infographic
Download the infographic "7 Ways the Mobile Consumer Changes Everything" to learn how to optimize your web content for mobile,...
- Re-Engineer Your Business For Mobile Moments
More than ever, customers are turning to their mobile devices to browse, shop, and research. This increase in usage puts...