News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: Ecomm total hits $27b
With just over two weeks until Christmas day, the ecommerce totals keep tallying upward. According to comScore for the first 37 days of the season (November 1 - December 7) shoppers have spent $27 billion online - a 13% increase over 2011 spending.
Several traditionally heavy online shopping day totals are yet to come in, including Green Monday (December 10), however, comScore notes that even with the increased spending, shopping totals have been as robust as the Thanksgiving weekend or Cyber Monday.
"Despite posting three consecutive billion-dollar spending days and five in excess of $950 million, this past week saw a noticeable softening in e-commerce momentum as growth rates dipped into single-digits after beginning the season in the mid-teens," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "However, we expect this lull to be a temporary effect having more to do with the extended shopping calendar this year with two additional shopping days between Thanksgiving and Christmas, rather than weakening consumer fundamentals. This upcoming week led by Green Monday is likely to be the heaviest online spending week in history with a realistic chance of delivering five billion-dollar days."
Green Monday has been eclipsed in recent years by Cyber Monday, however, comScore believes once the sales are tallied that December 10 will be a high spending day. For the past seven years, Green Monday has held a Top 5 slot for heaviest online shopping days, falling in first or second pace for five of the last seven years; in 2011 Green Monday topped out at $1.133 billion in online spending.
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
- YouGov: Mobile commerce confidence grows among consumers
- Study finds the moments ads will most likely garner attention
- Report: SMB owners optimistic about 2014 holidays
- Brands: Why you need to connect social and cross-platform marketing objectives
- 35% of U.S. online shoppers won't browse or buy from Alibaba
Featured White Papers
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...