News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: Ecomm total hits $27b
With just over two weeks until Christmas day, the ecommerce totals keep tallying upward. According to comScore for the first 37 days of the season (November 1 - December 7) shoppers have spent $27 billion online - a 13% increase over 2011 spending.
Several traditionally heavy online shopping day totals are yet to come in, including Green Monday (December 10), however, comScore notes that even with the increased spending, shopping totals have been as robust as the Thanksgiving weekend or Cyber Monday.
"Despite posting three consecutive billion-dollar spending days and five in excess of $950 million, this past week saw a noticeable softening in e-commerce momentum as growth rates dipped into single-digits after beginning the season in the mid-teens," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "However, we expect this lull to be a temporary effect having more to do with the extended shopping calendar this year with two additional shopping days between Thanksgiving and Christmas, rather than weakening consumer fundamentals. This upcoming week led by Green Monday is likely to be the heaviest online spending week in history with a realistic chance of delivering five billion-dollar days."
Green Monday has been eclipsed in recent years by Cyber Monday, however, comScore believes once the sales are tallied that December 10 will be a high spending day. For the past seven years, Green Monday has held a Top 5 slot for heaviest online shopping days, falling in first or second pace for five of the last seven years; in 2011 Green Monday topped out at $1.133 billion in online spending.
- The differences between American, European ads and why they matter
- Study: Online video pushing hungry people to burger chains
- Google's HTTPS ranking signal has little to no effect
- 'Huge landmark' as ecommerce mobile traffic overtakes desktop
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...