News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: Ecomm total hits $27b
With just over two weeks until Christmas day, the ecommerce totals keep tallying upward. According to comScore for the first 37 days of the season (November 1 - December 7) shoppers have spent $27 billion online - a 13% increase over 2011 spending.
Several traditionally heavy online shopping day totals are yet to come in, including Green Monday (December 10), however, comScore notes that even with the increased spending, shopping totals have been as robust as the Thanksgiving weekend or Cyber Monday.
"Despite posting three consecutive billion-dollar spending days and five in excess of $950 million, this past week saw a noticeable softening in e-commerce momentum as growth rates dipped into single-digits after beginning the season in the mid-teens," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "However, we expect this lull to be a temporary effect having more to do with the extended shopping calendar this year with two additional shopping days between Thanksgiving and Christmas, rather than weakening consumer fundamentals. This upcoming week led by Green Monday is likely to be the heaviest online spending week in history with a realistic chance of delivering five billion-dollar days."
Green Monday has been eclipsed in recent years by Cyber Monday, however, comScore believes once the sales are tallied that December 10 will be a high spending day. For the past seven years, Green Monday has held a Top 5 slot for heaviest online shopping days, falling in first or second pace for five of the last seven years; in 2011 Green Monday topped out at $1.133 billion in online spending.
- Videos best for Facebook reach, but don't ditch the photos
- Mother's Day: Flowers a popular gift, but Mom wants tech
- UK: Online spending and deliveries break records
- Study: Nearly one-third say they 'don't do enough' to internationalize their business
- Millennials say the right content drives brand loyalty
- Consumers not impressed by engagement of branded apps
- Online shoppers excited about possibility of drone deliveries
- Colors affect sharing behavior on Pinterest
Featured White Papers
- Measure What Matters: Five Features to Enable Now On Google Analytics
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for gaining insights into user behavior and gathering data for site optimization. Unfortunately, in...
- A lot of what you know about email marketing could be wrong
There is a lot of email-marketing advice floating around out there. And, frankly, a lot of it is bad. Hunches...