News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: Call it Cyber Week
One full week into the official 2012 holiday shopping weekend and three individual days have exceeded the $1 billion mark. According to comScore Cyber Monday (November 26) started off the week with a $1.46 billion spend, following by November 27 ($1.26 billion spent) and November 28 ($1.11 billion spent) online.
All told, shoppers pushed $5.462 billion into the ecommerce space during Cyber Week. Looking at the same week in 2011, shoppers spent $4.928 billion. Free shipping continues to be a big seller for etailers, with more than half of transactions including free shipping.
"While we still saw three billion dollar days this week, growth rates dampened following the peak demand of the Thanksgiving-to-Cyber Monday promotional period. This is a similar pattern to what we observed last year. In addition, unseasonably warm weather throughout many parts of the country may have given consumers some added impetus to shop in-store rather than rely on online shopping," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "Though retailers must often sacrifice margins when they provide free shipping, they benefit because consumers tend to spend significantly more on those transactions. Consumers may either be responding to the minimum spending thresholds needed in order to receive free shipping, or figure that as long as they know they're receiving free shipping it might be worth adding another item or two to their shopping basket."
Meanwhile data from Monetate shows mobile is having a big impact on holiday shoppers. Their data indicates during the peak shopping days of Black Friday and Cyber Monday mobile traffic was 21% higher than online traffic. Nearly 10% of traffic is attributed to Apple's iPad.
And when it comes to converting, iPad is also leading. Conversion rates for the holiday weekend stood at 6% for iPad users, 2% higher than other tablet users.
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...