News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: Call it Cyber Week
One full week into the official 2012 holiday shopping weekend and three individual days have exceeded the $1 billion mark. According to comScore Cyber Monday (November 26) started off the week with a $1.46 billion spend, following by November 27 ($1.26 billion spent) and November 28 ($1.11 billion spent) online.
All told, shoppers pushed $5.462 billion into the ecommerce space during Cyber Week. Looking at the same week in 2011, shoppers spent $4.928 billion. Free shipping continues to be a big seller for etailers, with more than half of transactions including free shipping.
"While we still saw three billion dollar days this week, growth rates dampened following the peak demand of the Thanksgiving-to-Cyber Monday promotional period. This is a similar pattern to what we observed last year. In addition, unseasonably warm weather throughout many parts of the country may have given consumers some added impetus to shop in-store rather than rely on online shopping," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "Though retailers must often sacrifice margins when they provide free shipping, they benefit because consumers tend to spend significantly more on those transactions. Consumers may either be responding to the minimum spending thresholds needed in order to receive free shipping, or figure that as long as they know they're receiving free shipping it might be worth adding another item or two to their shopping basket."
Meanwhile data from Monetate shows mobile is having a big impact on holiday shoppers. Their data indicates during the peak shopping days of Black Friday and Cyber Monday mobile traffic was 21% higher than online traffic. Nearly 10% of traffic is attributed to Apple's iPad.
And when it comes to converting, iPad is also leading. Conversion rates for the holiday weekend stood at 6% for iPad users, 2% higher than other tablet users.
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
- Top tips to reduce involuntary churn
- Smart Glasses that look like regular specs will invigorate market
- Less than 1 in 5 CRM managers feel they contribute to business revenues
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...