News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brits to spend almost half a billion quid online on Boxing Day
For the last three years, Boxing Day (26 December) has been the biggest single online shopping day of the year in the UK and, according to recent forecasts from the IMRG and Experian Hitwise, 2012 will be no exception.
Using IMRG data, Experian Hitwise have calculated that Boxing Day 2012 in the UK will be "gargantuan", forecasting a 31% rise on last year's 96 million Internet visits.
"We're predicting Brits will spend 17 million hours shopping on Boxing Day making a massive 126 million visits to retail websites," says James Murray, digital insight manager for Experian. Last year Brits spent 13 million hours shopping on Boxing Day.
During the 17 million hours of online shopping this year, Brits are expected to spend almost half a billion UK Pounds (£472.5 million) or around $767 million making it the biggest online retail day in British history.
Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are also predicted to be big online spending days. Consumers are expected to spend £225 million ($366 million) and £307 million ($498 million) respectively on these days.
In recent years the traditional January sales have crept forward and, for many retailers, now begin before Christmas Eve. This year they appear to have started even earlier with retailers already offering up to 50% off. Large department stores such as John Lewis are sticking to December 24 as the start of their online clearance sales and Amazon has brought its Boxing Day Deals back to December 25.
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...