News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 tips for engaging foreign shoppers through email
More brands are going global and pinning their hopes on email to remain connected with consumers in various parts of the world. But a global email strategy is more than simple translation. Here are our expert's top 3 tips for engaging through email.
Kristina: What is different about the Asian market than, say, opening a business to international consumers?
Gillian Hamilton Rogers, Marketing and Advertising Consultant, Singapore, Metia: The main challenge in Asia. . .is a greater diversity of language, culture and development. You cannot have a one-size-fits-all strategy here - it must be tailored on a country by country basis. In terms of email marketing from a Western brand it means that before sending you must address elements such as:
• Language - what is the best language for your email to be sent in? For some countries such as Australia and Singapore sending an email in English is acceptable, however in countries such as China, Japan & Korea it is imperative you communicate in the native language. Sending marketing emails in China is particularly challenging as you need to ensure you avoid words which flag their censors.
• Symbolism - colours, animals, numbers - these may represent something in the country you're sending your emails to. Double check that you've used them in the correct context to avoid offence.
• Design - different cultures respond best to different designs. What you think looks great might not be right to in another country. Do you research and test.
• Legalities - each country in Asia Pacific has their own individual laws when it comes to sending email marketing campaigns. Don't fall foul - at best you'll hit the spam folder, at worst you'll be liable for prosecution.
Kristina: What are your top 3 tips?
Gillian: Know your market. Do your research thoroughly before confirming your strategy and starting a campaign. In terms of email this means researching preferred end user device e.g. phone/pc, colours, language, data protection laws, phraseology amongst others. As a Western brand if you try to apply the same strategy to Asia you will be seriously hindering yourself. Hire a company like ours to provide the expertise needed to make your email campaign work and to avoid the pitfalls. Test it, tweak it and test it again. You won't get it right the first time, so don't be afraid to test something.
Embrace mobile and social. Ensure your email campaigns are optimized for smartphones and tablets - and make sure you continue your campaign across to social media to reinforce the brand engagement.
Focus on your USP (unique selling proposition). You must distinguish your brand not just from your usual competitors but also any local brands
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
- Survey: Retailers aren't ready for EMV deadline
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...