News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Rising food prices push Brits online to shop for groceries
Three-quarters of consumers in the UK now use the Internet to shop for household groceries, according to new research from Nielsen, driven by increasing food prices and convenience.
Seventy-four percent of consumers in the UK use the Internet to conduct their grocery shopping, found Nielsen in their Global Survey of Digital Influence on Global Shopping. The survey involved more than 28,000 online consumers across 56 countries.
The main reason Brits head online is to save money, found the research, with almost half (48%) looking for deals, 30% seeking coupons from dedicated sites and a quarter using the Internet to look for grocery price comparisons. The UK leads European countries in using the Internet to save money on their food shopping with 43% of Europeans overall looking for money-saving channels online.
"While much has been made about fitness and wellbeing in this, an Olympic year, British shoppers are as likely to make purchase decisions based on retailer loyalty programmes and the use of coupons and vouchers - available online or via their smartphones - as they are on what's best for their health," says Mike Watkins, Nielsen UK's head of retailer insight.
In fact, such is the popularity of buying foodstuffs online that it is now the third most popular category in the UK behind travel (30%) and books, magazines and newspapers (28%) with 27% planning to purchase food and drink online in the coming months.
The purchasing of groceries online has come a long way in the last couple of years. Previously, consumers' reticence to allow a stranger to pick the ripeness of their fruit, the shape of their fish fillets, the fattiness of a steak or a substitute item has been a turn off.
- Study: What consumers really want from loyalty programs
- Top 4 Tips to Manage Relationship Between Developers, Marketers
- Survey suggests increasing interest in e-gifts
- Referral key way in which marketers find SEO services
- Social Roundup: Rolling out for Instagram
- Brands: How to engage Millennials in your work force
- Top 3 tips to monetize traffic
- U.S. presidential elections: Digital media use up, television still dominant
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...