News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Rising food prices push Brits online to shop for groceries
Three-quarters of consumers in the UK now use the Internet to shop for household groceries, according to new research from Nielsen, driven by increasing food prices and convenience.
Seventy-four percent of consumers in the UK use the Internet to conduct their grocery shopping, found Nielsen in their Global Survey of Digital Influence on Global Shopping. The survey involved more than 28,000 online consumers across 56 countries.
The main reason Brits head online is to save money, found the research, with almost half (48%) looking for deals, 30% seeking coupons from dedicated sites and a quarter using the Internet to look for grocery price comparisons. The UK leads European countries in using the Internet to save money on their food shopping with 43% of Europeans overall looking for money-saving channels online.
"While much has been made about fitness and wellbeing in this, an Olympic year, British shoppers are as likely to make purchase decisions based on retailer loyalty programmes and the use of coupons and vouchers - available online or via their smartphones - as they are on what's best for their health," says Mike Watkins, Nielsen UK's head of retailer insight.
In fact, such is the popularity of buying foodstuffs online that it is now the third most popular category in the UK behind travel (30%) and books, magazines and newspapers (28%) with 27% planning to purchase food and drink online in the coming months.
The purchasing of groceries online has come a long way in the last couple of years. Previously, consumers' reticence to allow a stranger to pick the ripeness of their fruit, the shape of their fish fillets, the fattiness of a steak or a substitute item has been a turn off.
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...