News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Why Millennials have trouble finding jobs
The unemployment rate is high but new data out from Millennial Branding and StudentAdvisor indicates that for students, trouble finding a job may be more about preparedness than a lack of job opportunities. According to the report only about 40% have had at least one internship in their chosen career path even though most (85%) believe internships are important to career placement.
"Part of the reason why students are struggling to find jobs is because they fail to develop their careers while in college. Students should strive to market themselves online through social networks, and actively network offline, in order to secure internships and jobs," said Dan Schawbel, founder of Millennial Branding, Gen Y expert and bestselling author of Me 2.0
"College students are missing out on a very valuable resource by not leveraging LinkedIn. Internship opportunities, and the ability to network alumni or gain incredible insight into a company, are all there, waiting for students to take advantage," said Dean Tsouvalas, Editor-in-Chief, StudentAdvisor.com.
Other interesting findings include:
• Only one-third of students have a LinkedIn presence
• 93% don't understand 'personal branding' - like professional socnet profiles, business cards or professional blogs
• While 70% say they have a mentor, 37% say that mentor is a parent and 28% say it's a professor
• Less than one-third take advantage of career services at their college/university
Also, only about 20% belong to professional organizations which can help with networking and job searches or have taken classes to help with their social media skills.
And, from a social media standpoint, it is clear according to the study that students understand social media as a personal tool, not a professional one. So, while their personal profiles on Facebook and Twitter might be filled with college happenings, they're not taking advantage of professional social media sites like LinkedIn - and for prospective employers looking for new workers that can be a turn off.
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...