News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: What Google's 'not provided' means for brands
Just over a year ago Google changed how it identified and reported search traffic to begin using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) to better identify traffic to websites. This enhancement was supposed to protect consumer identities. This, of course, has made it more difficult for some brands to create personalized web experiences because instead of finding what drew a shopper to a site, the search terms returned read "not provided".
While savvy brands accept that some users want to remain anonymous, brands continue to scramble to serve these newly anonymized users. Even with the change online brands can measure SEO performance, but search terms can't be connected to users which means some personalization is left undone.
Optify recently completed a study, showing how Google's change is impacting traffic. Over 11 months they tracked more than 400 websites, 17 million visits and 7.2 million referring keywords.
Some interesting findings include:
• Referring keywords from organic search are down 49%
• "not provided" Google results account for about 40% of organic traffic to B2B sites, a 171% increase
• Nearly two-thirds of respondents report between 30% - 50% of traffic from Google is labeled "not provided"
With the increase in "not provided" results, what should a brand do to better measure search effectiveness? Optify suggests:
• Use Google's Webmaster Tools, take advantage of the daily search query and landing pages data to measure traffic sources
• Use 'other' data to personalize - like pages viewed, tagging and form submissions
• Use proxies like keyword rank and page ranks to estimate how keywords are performing
- Video ad campaigns with subtitles outperform in brand awareness
- Two-thirds of ad execs Google prospective employees
- 61% of brand content on Snapchat is video
- Survey: Trust influences more consumers to share information
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- New service alerts marketers when competitors air new TV ads
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...