News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social media overwhelming some SMBs
More SMBs in the U.S. are using social media in their marketing, according to new research, but SMB community website Manta reveals social media destinations can be overwhelming environments for small business owners.
In their latest "Local Commerce Monitor" (Wave 16, Q3 2012), BIA/Kelsey found that small businesses in the U.S. upped marketing spend on the likes of Facebook, Twitter and other social destinations.
In the 12 months to Q3 2012, small businesses spent, on average, $1,190 on social media activity, compared with just $876 spent in the previous 12-month period.
"While total annual spending on advertising and promotion remained flat at around $3,000 for the previous 12 months, SMBs are allocating more of their marketing dollars to digital presence assets," said Steve Marshall, director of research, BIA/Kelsey. "From web presence and mobile websites to social media, small businesses are building deeper and broader engagement with customers across a range of digital presence platforms."
More SMBs are using social media than ever before, found BIA/Kelsey, with 63% now saying they use the channel.
However, research from Manta shows just how overwhelming it can be for small business marketers and owners to successfully navigate and use social media effectively. In a recent poll of just over 600 small business owners across the U.S., the SMB community website found that over half (58%) struggled to find value using Facebook, or didn't have a page at all.
Furthermore, while channels such as Pinterest and Groupon were considered popular channels among consumers, it was considered the "most unfruitful" channel for SMBs.
"Small businesses understand they need to go where their audience is. Participating, networking and being found online is extremely important today in growing their business, so it's not surprising that they are embracing the channel", said Pamela Springer, CEO of Manta.
- What to expect on the video front in 2014
- How to create a solid A/B testing strategy
- Reports: Brands need strategy for mobile success
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
Featured White Papers
- How-to Guide to Online Customer Community Technologies
This Gleansight benchmark report explores what community experiences offer the greatest value to businesses. It looks at what technologies, processes...
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...