News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Smartphone users to spend 72% more this season than non-users
There has been much research done about consumers' changing shopping habits, and the role mobile devices play. For retailers that haven't yet got their mobile marketing strategy up and running, perhaps this latest research from Deloitte will open some eyes.
In its "2012 Holiday Survey", Deloitte found that smartphone users will be putting their devices to good use this holiday season and will spend more than non-smartphone users.
Almost 7 out of 10 (68%) smartphone users will use their device as a shopping guide and purchase platform, found Deloitte, and they'll spend a whopping 72% more than non-smartphone users, spending $1,428 across a multitude of categories.
Deloitte predicts that in-store sales influenced by smartphone use will reach $36 billion, or 5.1% of total holiday store sales. It's therefore important that retailers focus not just on direct sales, but on using mobile to drive sales across various channels.
"The store continues to be central to holiday shopping, but its role and that of the store associate is evolving as the physical and virtual shopping experiences merge," said Alison Paul, vice chairman, Deloitte, and retail and distribution sector leader.
- 'Commuter Commerce' worth £9.3 billion each year
- Research uncovers ways in which Millennials 'game' e-commerce
- Study finds that 'data for discounts' consumer behavior is a fallacy
- Ad Roundup: Solutions for ads, optimization, mobile work
- Top 3 don't's for telecom customer service
- Kahuna: Brands must engage for apps to work
- Research highlights effectiveness of in-app messaging
- Facebook tests 10-second video views and monetization
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...