News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Smartphone users to spend 72% more this season than non-users
There has been much research done about consumers' changing shopping habits, and the role mobile devices play. For retailers that haven't yet got their mobile marketing strategy up and running, perhaps this latest research from Deloitte will open some eyes.
In its "2012 Holiday Survey", Deloitte found that smartphone users will be putting their devices to good use this holiday season and will spend more than non-smartphone users.
Almost 7 out of 10 (68%) smartphone users will use their device as a shopping guide and purchase platform, found Deloitte, and they'll spend a whopping 72% more than non-smartphone users, spending $1,428 across a multitude of categories.
Deloitte predicts that in-store sales influenced by smartphone use will reach $36 billion, or 5.1% of total holiday store sales. It's therefore important that retailers focus not just on direct sales, but on using mobile to drive sales across various channels.
"The store continues to be central to holiday shopping, but its role and that of the store associate is evolving as the physical and virtual shopping experiences merge," said Alison Paul, vice chairman, Deloitte, and retail and distribution sector leader.
- Campaign launched to increase awareness of role of ads in funding free online editorial
- Retail Internet of Things spend forecast to reach $2.5 billion by 2020
- Vloggers under-utilized by brand marketers targeting Millennials
- Report: Mobile web use doubles
- Ad Roundup: Tools to improve experience
- Study finds customer service key for BTS success
- IAB/UKOM cuts through confusion with 'definitive' data on time Brits spend online
- Google pauses Flash and signals new ad age of HTML5
Featured White Papers
- Why Marketing Should Be Personal
Read our report, Why Marketing Should be Personal, created in partnership with Econsultancy, to learn why 700 marketers ranked personalization...
- Digital Trends 2015
Download the 2015 Digital Trends report, created in partnership with Econsultancy, to see the trends and tools you need to...