News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Smartphone users to spend 72% more this season than non-users
There has been much research done about consumers' changing shopping habits, and the role mobile devices play. For retailers that haven't yet got their mobile marketing strategy up and running, perhaps this latest research from Deloitte will open some eyes.
In its "2012 Holiday Survey", Deloitte found that smartphone users will be putting their devices to good use this holiday season and will spend more than non-smartphone users.
Almost 7 out of 10 (68%) smartphone users will use their device as a shopping guide and purchase platform, found Deloitte, and they'll spend a whopping 72% more than non-smartphone users, spending $1,428 across a multitude of categories.
Deloitte predicts that in-store sales influenced by smartphone use will reach $36 billion, or 5.1% of total holiday store sales. It's therefore important that retailers focus not just on direct sales, but on using mobile to drive sales across various channels.
"The store continues to be central to holiday shopping, but its role and that of the store associate is evolving as the physical and virtual shopping experiences merge," said Alison Paul, vice chairman, Deloitte, and retail and distribution sector leader.
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...