News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Return Path: Majority of spam complaints relate to legitimate emails
Marketers risk being labeled a "spam brand", according to new research from Return Path that found the majority of "this is spam" complaints relate to legitimate emails. The solution? Keep recipient enthusiasm high.
Email recipients are flagging legitimate email newsletters and notifications as spam, according to Return Path's July-September Email Intelligence Report. In fact, marketing messages were found to account for a whopping 70% of spam complaints.
Marketing messages also accounted for 60% of all hits on spam traps, email addresses used to catch and flag spam.
According to George Bilbrey, Return Path co-founder and president, the high percentage of spam complaints from marketing messages results from email recipients failing to use a formal unsubscribe process, and instead choosing to use the "this is spam" button.
Compared to the same period in 2011, marketers' inbox placement rates have decreased about 5%. The practice of spam reporting instead of unsubscribing could well be behind declining email deliverability rates, according to the report.
"While this makes it more difficult for marketers because a previously interested recipient may now be marking their information as spam, it is also important that marketers learn from these actions and consider changing their email marketing strategy to keep recipient enthusiasm high," said Bilbrey.
- Gigya: Facebook winning for logins
- Community Q&A: Do you need it? And how to use it
- Study: SMBs bride personal achievement over money
- DMA (UK) poll reveals most 'marketing friendly' social network
- LinkedIn: 300 million connected, 3 billion to go
- Kenshoo: Paid search continues double-digit yearly growth
- New platform uses social components to increase engagement
- How Facebook, AdWords can work together
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...