News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Responsys: Promotional email sends up 20% YoY
Retailers continue to push time and effort into the email sector. According to new data from Responsys promotional email sends are up 20% (2011 vs. 2012); because of the strong growth for 2012 as a whole, Responsys believes total email sends will pass 2011 numbers before the Thanksgiving holiday in the US.
For October, specifically, promotional email sends increased 22% over October 2011. However, all is not rosy where email is concerned. The Responsys data shows Hurricane Sandy and efforts to support breast cancer research slowed email communications recently.
Responsys data shows only about 2% of promotional messages mentioned October as Breast Cancer Awareness Month or Susan G. Komen for the Cure partnerships. That is a decrease of more than 33% over 2011 and Responsys notes the decreases are likely because of the political scandal from earlier in 2012.
Meanwhile, Hurricane Sandy didn't stop retailers from sending emails, but did slow the release of holiday campaigns. While the National Retail Federation notes that 40% of Americans began holiday shopping in October and 63% of major retailers had mentioned the upcoming holiday season there was a decrease compared to total email sends.
"Hurricane Sandy likely caused some retailers, especially those headquartered in states most affected by the superstorm, to hold off on Christmas messaging for both logistical reasons and in an effort to be sensitive to those impacted," said Chad White, Research Director at Responsys. "As power is restored and recovery efforts get into full swing, I expect holiday messaging to return to normal levels."
Why the focus on email? Because it works, According to the Direct Marketing Association, email returns $40.56 for every $1 spent (2011). Nearly three-quarters of online adults in the US prefer to get promotional messages through email (Merkle).
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...