News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Responsys: Promotional email sends up 20% YoY
Retailers continue to push time and effort into the email sector. According to new data from Responsys promotional email sends are up 20% (2011 vs. 2012); because of the strong growth for 2012 as a whole, Responsys believes total email sends will pass 2011 numbers before the Thanksgiving holiday in the US.
For October, specifically, promotional email sends increased 22% over October 2011. However, all is not rosy where email is concerned. The Responsys data shows Hurricane Sandy and efforts to support breast cancer research slowed email communications recently.
Responsys data shows only about 2% of promotional messages mentioned October as Breast Cancer Awareness Month or Susan G. Komen for the Cure partnerships. That is a decrease of more than 33% over 2011 and Responsys notes the decreases are likely because of the political scandal from earlier in 2012.
Meanwhile, Hurricane Sandy didn't stop retailers from sending emails, but did slow the release of holiday campaigns. While the National Retail Federation notes that 40% of Americans began holiday shopping in October and 63% of major retailers had mentioned the upcoming holiday season there was a decrease compared to total email sends.
"Hurricane Sandy likely caused some retailers, especially those headquartered in states most affected by the superstorm, to hold off on Christmas messaging for both logistical reasons and in an effort to be sensitive to those impacted," said Chad White, Research Director at Responsys. "As power is restored and recovery efforts get into full swing, I expect holiday messaging to return to normal levels."
Why the focus on email? Because it works, According to the Direct Marketing Association, email returns $40.56 for every $1 spent (2011). Nearly three-quarters of online adults in the US prefer to get promotional messages through email (Merkle).
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...