News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Responsys: Promotional email sends up 20% YoY
Retailers continue to push time and effort into the email sector. According to new data from Responsys promotional email sends are up 20% (2011 vs. 2012); because of the strong growth for 2012 as a whole, Responsys believes total email sends will pass 2011 numbers before the Thanksgiving holiday in the US.
For October, specifically, promotional email sends increased 22% over October 2011. However, all is not rosy where email is concerned. The Responsys data shows Hurricane Sandy and efforts to support breast cancer research slowed email communications recently.
Responsys data shows only about 2% of promotional messages mentioned October as Breast Cancer Awareness Month or Susan G. Komen for the Cure partnerships. That is a decrease of more than 33% over 2011 and Responsys notes the decreases are likely because of the political scandal from earlier in 2012.
Meanwhile, Hurricane Sandy didn't stop retailers from sending emails, but did slow the release of holiday campaigns. While the National Retail Federation notes that 40% of Americans began holiday shopping in October and 63% of major retailers had mentioned the upcoming holiday season there was a decrease compared to total email sends.
"Hurricane Sandy likely caused some retailers, especially those headquartered in states most affected by the superstorm, to hold off on Christmas messaging for both logistical reasons and in an effort to be sensitive to those impacted," said Chad White, Research Director at Responsys. "As power is restored and recovery efforts get into full swing, I expect holiday messaging to return to normal levels."
Why the focus on email? Because it works, According to the Direct Marketing Association, email returns $40.56 for every $1 spent (2011). Nearly three-quarters of online adults in the US prefer to get promotional messages through email (Merkle).
- Webrooming parents heading to physical stores for back-to-school purchases
- 43% of all traffic to travel websites now comes from mobile
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
- How to measure engagement to reach a deeper customer relationship
- Survey: Amazon influencing back to school shoppers
- Hilton gives guests greater control with significant app upgrade
- Top 3 tips for better channel optimization
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...