News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Reports: Consumers turning to mobile at all times
Shopping habits are quickly changing and the change is largely due to mobile devices. New data out from JiWire shows just how shopping has changed in the last year - and indicates what retailers need to do to convert shoppers this holiday season.
JiWire research shows that in Q3 2012 about two-thirds of shoppers are willing to spend $50 or more via mobile - that is a 25% increase over 2011 numbers. Meanwhile, most on-the-go shoppers (85%) are now using mobile devices in store; the study also found 86% are 'more comfortable' making mobile purchases now. That is an increase of 26% over 2011 numbers. While in-store, the number of people who will make a purchase through mobile is up 27% over 2011 numbers.
Other interesting findings include:
• 81% of public WiFi comes from free hotspots (US)
• Hispanic users are 36% more likely to engage in-store via mobile
• 65% of smartphone owners also own a tablet
"Smartphones and tablets are becoming mainstream personal shopping devices, making it even more important for marketers to understand their mobile audience," said David Staas, interim CEO at JiWire. "For example, Hispanics are very mobile-savvy and much more likely to comparison shop on their mobile device than the general population. How people use these devices has always been important, but understanding where people engage and how different audiences engage is equally important for marketers to be successful in mobile."
Meanwhile, shopping isn't the only thing changing thanks to mobile. Data from Usablenet shows during Hurricane Sandy, people in affected areas turned to mobile devices to find information and stay up to date with transportation, utility and telecom information.
During the storm mobile traffic:
• Increased 98% to airline sites
• Increased 16,000% to utilities sites - understandable since consumers don't regularly visit utilities sites
• Increased 495% to transportation sites
• Increased 126% to telecom sites
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
- Top 3 tips to improve employee productivity
- Retailers: Why you need live online assistance for the 2014 holidays
- Top 3 tips to create better transactional email messages
Featured White Papers
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...