News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Why smart TV households hold promise for online brands
The number of people watching television and other video content online continues to grow. More than 40 billion clips were served in September according to comScore. But it isn't just people watching content online - a growing trend is using the television to connect online. And it may hold as many benefits for advertisers as 'traditional' video advertising.
A new whitepaper out from Parks Associates forecasts that connected TV households will reach critical mass (North America, Western Europe) next year, and that those devices will not only increase the amount of time spend with television content but that it will deepen the engagement of viewers at the same time.
"U.S. connected TV owners are an affluent, influential and attractive audience segment," is written in the report. "Over one-half (55%)...earn at least $75,000 annually. Connected TV owners use this buying power to be early adopters of technology products and services - each household owns 11 internet enabled devices, on average. They are also strong technology influences: 53% regularly give advice to guide others, including family and friends, in their technology purchase decisions."
According to the report:
• 38% of all North American households will own a smart TV next year
• 32% of Western European households will own a set next year; 54% by 2016
• 70% of current smart TV owners are college graduates
• 49% use a smart-platform when deciding what to watch
• 81% notice ads in the space
Not only do these viewers notice ads within connected TVs, the report shows that most (67%) feel these ads are less interruptive than traditional television ads (Rovi-served households). Ads that are less disruptive of the experience can help to increase engagement not only with the actual content but the ads supporting that content.
The report was developed on behalf of the Rovi Ad Network.
- Demandbase: What won't happen in 2015
- Ecommerce Roundup: Shoppers findings leads on social media
- Report: Analysis high on B2Bers New Year List
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...