News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Why smart TV households hold promise for online brands
The number of people watching television and other video content online continues to grow. More than 40 billion clips were served in September according to comScore. But it isn't just people watching content online - a growing trend is using the television to connect online. And it may hold as many benefits for advertisers as 'traditional' video advertising.
A new whitepaper out from Parks Associates forecasts that connected TV households will reach critical mass (North America, Western Europe) next year, and that those devices will not only increase the amount of time spend with television content but that it will deepen the engagement of viewers at the same time.
"U.S. connected TV owners are an affluent, influential and attractive audience segment," is written in the report. "Over one-half (55%)...earn at least $75,000 annually. Connected TV owners use this buying power to be early adopters of technology products and services - each household owns 11 internet enabled devices, on average. They are also strong technology influences: 53% regularly give advice to guide others, including family and friends, in their technology purchase decisions."
According to the report:
• 38% of all North American households will own a smart TV next year
• 32% of Western European households will own a set next year; 54% by 2016
• 70% of current smart TV owners are college graduates
• 49% use a smart-platform when deciding what to watch
• 81% notice ads in the space
Not only do these viewers notice ads within connected TVs, the report shows that most (67%) feel these ads are less interruptive than traditional television ads (Rovi-served households). Ads that are less disruptive of the experience can help to increase engagement not only with the actual content but the ads supporting that content.
The report was developed on behalf of the Rovi Ad Network.
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...